Passenger Grab Bars - How Sturdy?

I think the question is ... define "gear". If you can secure it with normal bungie cords or a snug cotton rope, no problem. Sleeping bag, lightweight single person tent, no problem. I would avoid any straps that may scratch, but if that's what you have, I have used tool box shelf liner (soft foam padding) to pad where the strap may rub the paint.

I have a cortech tail bag / saddle bag set that I use, and I run the straps down through the rails to the foot peg brackets to hold things down better. I have tied stuff to the rails as well, and as long as you don't have to crank down on the ties to secure things, you should be fine. They are pretty solid. if you can secure the load with snug cotton rope or bungies, you should be good. If you are concerned about it, I would run the ties through the handles and to the foot peg brackets, and maybe through the handles and under the tail, if needed.

Thanks Blue Flash, I like your suggestion to run straps down to the passenger peg brackets. I spent big bucks for rok straps so not concerned much with scratches. May strap a duffle full of clothes and sleeping bag - maybe 25 lbs to them. Lost a couple anchor points with a Motodynamic tidy tail and working thru some alternatives. Just didn't want to find out those bars will come loose on a trip!

Back