Penske 8983 install tips

While I installed my new shock I took some pictures of a few things that helped make the install a breeze. First off the I must mention the directions from Traxxion were clear and precise.

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

As you see the top bushings are of different length so I used the sharpie to label each to prevent any mix ups during install (it did help-don't ask).

IMG_1524.jpg

Along with removing the side panels and the rear brake fluid bottle helps make easy access to the top bolt on both sides.

IMG_1533.jpg

With the aftermarket pipe off, access to the bottom shock bolt and the dog bones was easy. If you can remove your pipe- it's worth it.

IMG_1529.jpg

Traxxion offers (15.00) their own bracket for the shock which allows the rear foot pegs to be used in case I ever do. Here you can see the hose from the shock to the reservoir. I did replace the white zip ties after the install was finished.

IMG_1546.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy pic but the reservoir knob is all but impossible to read when it points downward on the bike so you can see where I used the sharpie to mark which way the to make adjustments to the damping.

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

Finished product pictures.

I have only ridden the bike a couple short rides so still working on set up. The bike is a bit taller and firm ride but I do believe the rear tire seems to hook up better by the way the front lofted :rolleyes:

nice, but i still find it a chore to have to remove something which is of no-relations to the shock in order to install/remove it.

so far from the various postings, penske and ohlins are the only 2 brands which have an external routed piggyback, rather than integrated piggyback like bitubo which is much more compact.

What spring rate did you get and what is your weight without gear? I just received the 8983 from Traxxion but it came with a 600 lb-in spring, which according to some sources is softer than stock. I am trying to avoid having to remove and install twice to change out springs. According to my research, I should have a spring with about 750 lb-in but some indications are this will make ride too harsh. What has your experience been with your setup? Thanks!

Wow, thanks for the review. Thats handy to know about taking the muffler off - I'll do the rear shock when I get a new slip-on now so I can do them together.

Last edited:
What spring rate did you get and what is your weight without gear? I just received the 8983 from Traxxion but it came with a 600 lb-in spring, which according to some sources is softer than stock. I am trying to avoid having to remove and install twice to change out springs. According to my research, I should have a spring with about 750 lb-in but some indications are this will make ride too harsh. What has your experience been with your setup? Thanks!

I do not know the spring they used but I am going to find out as the ride has been harsh over the sharp bumps. I'll call Traxxion and find out asap as I may need to go to a lighter spring.
It does seem the bike hooks up better when applying the throttle while exiting a corner.

UPDATE: Talked to the boys at Traxxion, I have the 600# spring. They suggested I increase the sag to 40mm to eliminate the harsh ride over the bumps. Will report back when I get time to do this.

Last edited:
I installed the 8983 from Traxxion Saturday and really enjoyed the results! Maybe it's just me but I think the bike is easier to handle. The stock setting from Traxxion was slightly longer eye to eye which yielded better turn-in. I like it! Have to save up enough for the AK-20's for the front next.

I emailed Dan at Traxxion and their 8983 is the same price as MD Racing ($788), so as soon as the wife gives me the okey dokey I'll put my order in for one of these bad boys! :D

To the OP.

The spacers at the top of the shock should measure approximately 30mm.

It was the same as the stock shock and also my Nitron shock. The top spacers were both of equal length and measured 30mm across.

Both of the ones on the 8983 I bought off scottyd were also of equal length and measured 30mm across.

I'm curious, did you measure them before you put the shock on?

It seems strange that they are different lengths. Are you sure they didn't supply you with one that was too short?

Sent from my GT-I9300

Back