Phillip Island WSBK 2012

My mate and I got back on Monday night from Phillip Island after a marathon last day ride of 1150 kilometres (about 700 miles). All up the FZ1 travelled 2630 klms on our 5 day trip...lower bum cheeks are a bit sore and a minor neck soreness but everything else on the old body is in pretty good shape. My minor gripes seem trivial after the tragic death of 17 year old Australian Supersport rider Oscar McIntyre on saturday...sincere condolences to his family and friends. The weather for trip was mostly fine and very hot in Victoria...only got some rain near Sale in Vic and Kangaroo Valley on Monday a couple of hours from home. As would be the expected the FZ1 ran like a swiss clock and amazes me how good a "tourer" it is. My mate has 2009 GS1200 BMW and we swapped bikes a couple of times...it is an extremely comfy and capable mile eater, but I was very happy getting back on the FZ. We rode quite a few back roads on the trip, and one of the highlights was the Snowy Mountains road between Thredbo and Khancoban...just have to learn to concentrate on the road rather than the amazing scenery! Last note...the new power pure michelins that I fitted just before the trip worked fantastically in all conditions.

My mate and I got back on Monday night from Phillip Island after a marathon last day ride of 1150 kilometres (about 700 miles). All up the FZ1 travelled 2630 klms on our 5 day trip...lower bum cheeks are a bit sore and a minor neck soreness but everything else on the old body is in pretty good shape. My minor gripes seem trivial after the tragic death of 17 year old Australian Supersport rider Oscar McIntyre on saturday...sincere condolences to his family and friends. The weather for trip was mostly fine and very hot in Victoria...only got some rain near Sale in Vic and Kangaroo Valley on Monday a couple of hours from home. As would be the expected the FZ1 ran like a swiss clock and amazes me how good a "tourer" it is. My mate has 2009 GS1200 BMW and we swapped bikes a couple of times...it is an extremely comfy and capable mile eater, but I was very happy getting back on the FZ. We rode quite a few back roads on the trip, and one of the highlights was the Snowy Mountains road between Thredbo and Khancoban...just have to learn to concentrate on the road rather than the amazing scenery! Last note...the new power pure michelins that I fitted just before the trip worked fantastically in all conditions.

Without "spilling the beans" about the outcomes of the two races, in case some guys have it DVR'd, wasn't it a great two races?! The second race was my favorite with the "last place" to "second place" comeback from "you know who"!! Simply amazing!!!

Ok Billy...you got me all excited so I went and found the complete race online. That WAS an awesome race!!! Many times I was on the edge of my chair. I yelled a few times at the screen...Like someone was gonna hear me..HAHAHA.

Ok Billy...you got me all excited so I went and found the complete race online. That WAS an awesome race!!! Many times I was on the edge of my chair. I yelled a few times at the screen...Like someone was gonna hear me..HAHAHA.

Wasn't it crazy!! And your talking about a 40 year old racing against guys half his age!! Not too shabby! Us "old guys" can rock too!!! Hahaha!!

Yeh, the "Roman Emporer" has still got it!

Glad your trip was fun. It's always nice to go and see the pros tear it up! Race two was quite entertaining, every time they check up on the Race 1 winner in #2, he was gaining another spot...or three!

I sure do miss going to races...used to do the AMA races at PPIR here in Colorado. :blahblah:

Maybe I'll hit up SBK in SLC this year. Fun stuff! Thanks again for your race trip summary Rick!

Back