PLS HELP Gen 1 No start issue

A couple of months ago I acquired a beaten up 2003 FZ1 that “only needed a clutch”. Fast foward to today and I have rebuilt the entire engine. Before installing engine I decided to covert it to a fully naked bike, install new speedometer, & bypass my ignition switch with an on/off switch(this is where my problem began) but couldn’t get it going so I just spliced the wires back together. Installed rebuilt engine and connected everything properly. Switch the ignition on & I have power but the start button doesn’t work!?? I jumped the original starter relay and the bike ran but later stalled. That was two weeks ago, as of today ive went through two starter relays(the bypassing relay method no longer works. It just sparks once or twice)and a used engine harness and I’m still not getting any power to the relay when using the start button!? Verified that the engine is not seized& tested starter by running a jumper cable to it and it spun…. Can someone pls help, I’m losing my mind with this issue

Attachments

• 7C7836D5-0A7F-4D06-BB22-420FC5A67CE8.png
    7C7836D5-0A7F-4D06-BB22-420FC5A67CE8.png
    9.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 9087DD2E-1714-4C2D-AE51-2CC6FC5C099A.jpeg
    9087DD2E-1714-4C2D-AE51-2CC6FC5C099A.jpeg
    492.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 092EF9E1-4978-438F-B4F9-501EAD51D24B.jpeg
    092EF9E1-4978-438F-B4F9-501EAD51D24B.jpeg
    588.4 KB · Views: 3
I haven’t used the voltmeter yet but I have used some methods that I found online to rule out the kickstand switch, clutch switch, & ignition. I tested the starter relay by jumping it w a screwdriver and that worked but after doing it so many times it stopped working. I’m figuring since the harness is new then the problem has to be in the killswitch itself? I have one on the way with a new starter relay & I’ll began testing w the voltmeter when those arrive

I haven’t used the voltmeter yet but I have used some methods that I found online to rule out the kickstand switch, clutch switch, & ignition. I tested the starter relay by jumping it w a screwdriver and that worked but after doing it so many times it stopped working. I’m figuring since the harness is new then the problem has to be in the killswitch itself? I have one on the way with a new starter relay & I’ll began testing w the voltmeter when those arrive
yeah there must be an open circuit somewhere, the kill switch would be a good place to look.

Back