Potential Purchase

Good afternoon,I have been riding sport bikes for a long time.I'm a adult rider and love sport bikes.I've ridin new & old 600's & 1000's.I have been looking at the 09 FZ1 at the local dealership,theres only one problem.There is no one where i live that owns this bike for me to ride and dealer doesn't demo,So thats where you come in.Can someone give there unbiased opinion on this bike from power ex:low,mid & high,handling,comfort.Is the gearing any thing like the 05 & up R1's which suck 1st gear is geared so tall.Thanks for any advise that is given.

Last edited:
I'm not a GenII owner so I couldn't tell ya. Never had the pleasure of riding one either. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. Great to have ya. I'm sure a few GenII owners will help you out shortly. Welcome again, Billy.

Well here are my thoughts on the the stock FZ1. Low and mid range will feel a little weak. However, once you modify it with a slip-on muffler, gutted header cat and modified airbox it really starts to wake up. By then you will probably need a PC III or PC V to add more fuel

Handling is not pure sport bike quick, like an R1, but it's not bad at all. What you give up in quickness you gain in stability. As for comfort again way more comfortable than the pure sport bikes. Only thing I don't care for is the limited fuel range. Oh and the stock seat isn't all that great on long rides either.

Yes, the gearing is the same as the R1 since they share transmission ratios in gears 1-4. Yamaha could have done a better job in this regard. There is no need for this bike to do 85 MPH in first gear. A popular mod is to put a 16T front sprocket instead of the stock 17T.

Good luck at the dealer. Hope this helps...

I have the slip on exhaust and the power commander III usb but you lost when you started talking about the gutted header cat and what type of modified air box???

Back