Power Commander / MPG

roboco

Hi All, I am new to the forum and just got a 2008 FZ1. Love the bike so far but am getting terrible mileage. Anyone know if the Power Commander could be the culprit? Im considering unplugging it or configuring it with a plain map because I dont know what mapping is in it. Any suggestions?

Also - I didnt get the bike for mileage purposes but thought it would get a bit more that Im getting.

Right around 30 MPG. I commute with the bike mostly highway miles and keep the RPMs between 5000-5500.
I did notice it idles at over 1000K too.

*Measuring with an Android App

Add the ign module to it. I have the PCV and mod. I got 38 on a fun trip through the mountains yesterday..

Do you have a suggestion for the ignition module? I'm picking up an 06 with only 1,200 miles this weekend and the previous owner already told me it has a slight hesitation when on it. Would this help with that. Didn't mean to hijack.

Right around 30 MPG. I commute with the bike mostly highway miles and keep the RPMs between 5000-5500.
I did notice it idles at over 1000K too.

*Measuring with an Android App

I usually jump up to 33-35 mpg running at 5000 rpm on the highway. If I'm in any stop and go traffic or on surface streets it usually drops down to 30-31 mpg. I don't have a PCV or any performance mods other than Iridium spark plugs.

Do you have a suggestion for the ignition module? I'm picking up an 06 with only 1,200 miles this weekend and the previous owner already told me it has a slight hesitation when on it. Would this help with that. Didn't mean to hijack.

You need an f.c.e or a later e.c.u
Search throttle snatch

So back to the original question, there is no need to disconnect or change the mapping for the Power Commander?

Why don't you experiment a bit and try a few different maps? You you really wanted to be sure get the bike on a Dino and will using a exhaust gas anyilizer see what the air/fuel ratio is at different loads and adjust the mapping accordingly.

Before you go spending money on new hardware, yes I would play with the maps. It's free. What mods do you have? What map are you running? There should be a description when you have the bike plugged into your computer.

I got the PCV and IM at the same time. The ignition Module has to match the PC I believe. the bike does run much cooler also might have cured the hot seat issue. I have to wait for a nice hot day to find out.

These are not noted for fuel economy.... go ride the pi$$ out of it. ;)

I get 32 on a commuting tank and have been as low as 25 on a highly-spirited tank. ;)

BTW, this is with a SpeedoDRD corrected machine so the MPG is more accurate than an uncorrected machine.

I just did the SpeedoDRD, I used the -6.9% and haven't rode yet, but looking forward to more accurate numbers!

Let me know if you experience any weird hesitations in the 2500-5000 rpm ranges. I used to have a -6.8% and ended up having to move it to -5.2%. I have a good read on this with info from the 12O'ClockLabs guy.... Here's one thread: http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-general-discussion/15094-surging.html#post120193 and another post about this: http://www.998cc.org/forum/138100-post9.html

Last edited:
It is most likely the map. I bought a 2009 with a PCM and I could smell the unburnt fuel poring out of the exhaust. I had to refuel under 100 miles per tank. Assuming the speedo is correct (I think it is), I was getting about 28 with the crap map that was on it. Tried a few from online, eventually just set it back to stock map and get about 40 mpg. I'm sure I could get 32 if riding hard, 45 if riding 55 mph constantly. I liked having more fuel upon decel because it makes it smoother but for now the stock map with a Yoshi TRC slip on runs fine. Maybe one day I will get to a dyno. Just hook up a laptop and back up the map u have on it. Then set to stock, run for two tanks and see what that does. Really easy to set it back or change it to another one if you want.

FYI all else mechanical is stock, have lowered handlebars and fairings, may help slightly with aerodynamics.

Back