Probably trading in my new FZ6 for new FZ1

troyw

Tomorrow, in fact. The parts I have to buy, and their price to make the FZ6 more comfortable for my body is going to be tough. Seems to me that more parts are available, and for less overall money. For instance, to lower the FZ1 looks to be much simpler by buying a lowering link instead of a new shock spring with installation $$ spent, or a whole new shock from Ohlins with ride height. I'm 5' 6" tall and 130 lbs. and may need a bit of lowering...maybe. I also don't tax stock suspension much.
Now, does anyone have comfort issues on the FZ1. The FZ6 is pretty bad for me, but just sitting on the FZ1 feels different. I already have those GenMar riser extensions, so that'll give me an inch up, and I've also got gel grips that will fit. Is there anything else anyone might want to tell me about the FZ1, good or bad? I'm talking about a new 08' here. Oh, and the valve adjustment interval on the FZ6 is 26,600 miles. What is it on the FZ1?
How about catalytic converter punch-outs? Mods? Does this bike have an 02 sensor, and if so, does it throw any lights up by punching out the cat or unplugging it to put a PC3 on? Stuff like that...
Thanks!

Troy

Well, just to let you know, I am the poster child for bad backs. I am living with herniations in L1,L2,L3,L4,S1, and a bulge in S2. I've been through two bouts of severe sciatica the past 4 years and anyone who has been through it can tell you that its probably some of the worst pain aside from Kidney Stones. That being said, I went from a Honda Shadow 750 with forward controls which I was able to ride 1 hour at a time at most, to my First Gen FZ1. I have been out on 4 or 5 separate occasions for more than 4 hours straight and felt absolutely no discomfort whatsoever. Thats a testament to the comfort factor on the FZ1. Trust me! I am 5-11 and down to about 230lbs now. It is a joy to climb aboard this bike. It's the bike I should have been riding all along. Its easy to spot me on the road....I'm the guy with the ear to ear grin underneath the helmet. I am not sure if your going for a Gen1 or Gen2. The Gen2 bikes are a little less comfortable I hear but not by much. The position is a little sportier than the Gen1 models but I have never sat on one so I am not able to tell you firsthand how it is. If your thinking of an 01 to 05 model, I say go for it. You'll be happy. I'll be glad to answer any other questions you may have if I can help. Take care, Billy.

I just sold my 03 R6 yesterday coz I bought a brand new 07 FZ1 three days ago. Dont know much about the FZ6, but the FZ1 is incredibly comfortable and much easier to ride. Plus, the power is insane!! Im 5ft 7in and I still tip toe, but its easier to tip toe on a up right bike than a sportbike. You can get 08 FZ1 for $8600 out the door, well in california you can. I paid $7800 OTD for mine. Tons of mods for the FZ1, it does have a catalytic but not sure if it throws error codes if you remove it. Im sure someone here can chime in on that.

Thanks guys. The FZ6 was not comfortable for me, and when I really looked at what I had to do to make it better, I have chosen to just pay up and trade right away. As a man, I just have to acknowledge my mistake of not going for the FZ1 in the first place. Yes, it's a gen 2, a new 08' model.
This one cost me $9k. I'm not sure how you did your deal, but they're not that cheap out here in Georgia. This dealer only has the one maroon one left too. It's a nice color combo with the gold forks and wheels. I hope it's not a police magnet. I have a spotless record. Of course, I should since I'm pushing 40.
I've already got riser extensions for it too, just in case my wrists start to bug again. Really my right wrist. Crazy ol' thing it is!
I don't like losing oney on a new bike, but I think this will be a good change for the long haul. Not likely I'm going ot need more power than it's even got stock any time too soon. Shoot, it's not even 30 lbs. heavier than the FZ6, and carries over 40 horsepower more. Yikes! I've had huge cruisers, but never anything this powerful. I'll be careful at first for sure.

- Troy

you will never look back. I rode an FZ6N for a year and just felt like i gre out of it and traded up to a naked FZ1. i find the ride position more confortable as its not quite a reach to the bars. I find the FZ1 falls into corners a lot easier than the FZ6 and all round effort easier to ride.

Have fun and stay safe as you have noticed the power delivery is CONSIDERABLY different

Hey NakedJ, you are right on the money. I can't believe after riding the bike home this evening that I didn't just go for it the first time. What a machine. It has all of about 35 miles on it now, but the power is amazing. Just doing nice roll-ons to seat the rings right, and hit 9k rpm for just a second in 2nd or 3rd gear. Holy cow this thing is fast. Comfort? 100% better than the FZ6. No pain so far in my right wrist. Much better seating position. MUCH better bike. I just adjusted the suspension too. Cool to have full adjustability.

Well, I guess I'm an official member now!

BTW, I got the Iron Man colors...dark red & gold. I think I'm going to name the bike Iron Man. It sure is a rocket, and I haven't even really got on it yet.
WOW.

- Troy

Back