Question about TPS (Only goes to 90 in Diag Tool)

It's not big deal if it stays at 90 (instead of 95-100 like it's supposed to be) but I figured I'd ask.

I brought up the diagnostic for the bike and my closed throttle number is 16. (Good, supposed to be between 15-18), but my open throttle is only at 90.

What could cause this? Short of the TPS not recognizing anything past 90? It rolls on smoothly from 16 to 90. It never skips or jumps when I smoothly and slowly roll on throttle. I recently installed a PC V which, according to Ivan's thread doesn't need TPS adjustment as the bike sits at 1250~RPM with a .649 value.

On bikes with a PCV, choose “power commander tools” > “calibrate throttle position”
look at the current value (middle box) you need to move the TPS so your average # in the current box is somewhere between 0.640 & 0.650 while the bike is idling at 1250 rpm (appx)

If you already have these readings, there is no need to adjust your TPS.

So, why would it not go past 90? I can't get out and ride the bike, due to where I live and the time of year. So, I can't tell if it's a real detriment. (I don't imagine it would be.) I can't remember the last time I went WOT on a motorcycle... Regardless, it nags at me a bit.

I would rather not buy an e-bay used one to find out it maxes out in the 80s or such and a new one is around $135. (And it might not even be the problem?)

The bike reads 90 with the Power Commander unhooked, IIRC. Also, the bike had an Ivan FCE that I removed. I made sure the connections were tight when returning the IAP wires and that black/yellow wire back to the original mates. I don't think any of those four wire has anything to do with the issue at hand, though, does it?

Thoughts?

You just need to adjust your open and closed points as per this post from Ivan on the other forum FZ1OA.

Just make sure your bike is up to operating temperature and idling at 1200-1300 rpm first.

FZ1OA Message Board - View Single Post - Opening and closing points on PCV

They are. Keep in mind I'm asking about the bike's diagnostic tool, not the power commander HUD. The PC shows the bike at 0% throttle while warm idling at 1250rpm, it goes to 1% at 1600rpm and it indicates 100% when I rev that high and/or toggle switch off, on, then WOT. None of this changes the fact that the bike diagnostic tool says that 90 is my max throttle.

Referenced from here.

1) Turn key to off
2) Turn ignition kill switch to run
3) Hold the select and reset button at the same time
4) Turn the key to run
5) Continue to hold the two buttons and count to about 10 at this point the display will show "d1"
6) Release the two buttons
7) Repress both buttons for 2 sec and the display will show d:01_____17

The 17 that I get, can be anything from 15-18. This is the throttle position reading. As you S L O W L Y roll on the throttle, the number on the dash has to roll smoothly up to between 95 and 100 at WOT

If you get any jumping or holes in the numbers the TPS is the issue and must be repaired.

I guess I will. >_< It was a fairly long reply.

Then again 2 guys from the other FZ1 site are thinking much what you're thinking, so I'll just cut/paste my reply to them.

Mikros, as stated in my original post, I'm all hooked up on the Power Commander end. Warm Idle is set perfectly 1250rpm, 0tps and 100% throttle show up as they're supposed to, bike goes to 1% throttle at 1600~rpm, voltage values all perfect. All good PC wise.

What I'm talking about is the diagnostic tool on the motorcycle not reading 100TPS at full throttle, mine maxes at 90. This isn't me in the video, but this is what I'm talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGOrkm-KRRA See how the numbers go up and down depending on how hard he has the throttle rolled back? It should stop at 100 at full throttle. Mine stops at 90. (Though 'closed' it's at 16, which is fine. Should be between 15-18.)

Sorry mate, I've never heard of anyone doing that tps check. It's new to me.
I'll check mine later for reference.

EDIT: I just performed the test and my bike goes from 16 to 91, following the throttle perfectly.

I'm happy that my tps is working correctly and I'm not too worried about the max 91 reading as my bike effing hammers when at max throttle.

Last edited:
I have a question. What if the number is over 100 at WOT like at 102. I checked mine yest and it was within spec. Checked my mates FZ6 and his is 18 at closed and 102 at WOT. Assuming it just needs a little adjustment but is there any negative to the number being this high?
Thanks

My TPS is only 89 after I changed the throttle cable, before it was 97. Well I guess it has something to do with adjusting the sensor. I did not loosen it when changing the cable but who knows how much force is required to shift it. The Reading comes from a resistance so I guess that lower values mean not fully opened throttle for the ECU. That would change your fueling and hence the PC would not give the correct correction. I never bothered adjusting the TPS, it must be a pain and I am rarely at WOT so some miss fueling did not bother me. In case you want to get everything out of it, check the procedure to adjust it. I doubt you need a new unit there must be some way to reposition it properly.

Sorry mate, I've never heard of anyone doing that tps check. It's new to me.
I'll check mine later for reference.

EDIT: I just performed the test and my bike goes from 16 to 91, following the throttle perfectly.

I'm happy that my tps is working correctly and I'm not too worried about the max 91 reading as my bike effing hammers when at max throttle.

I have these values tps 18-96. ps the yamaha default sets the first, closed gas = 16 the maximum open I think is given by the same tps 90-100. the value 18 I set myself on board of a well-known trainer bike yamaha

Last edited:
If you have a PC3/5/FC, the bikes diag TPS readout won't read 100... 90 is pretty much normal.

I wouldn't worry about this at all.

Ivan

Back