R1 Fork Conversion on the way!

Well there I go again, submitting a "Best Offer" in Ebay. Tonight I just bought a pair of '04 R1 gold forks. I'm in the process of having my R6 forks serviced and I was talking to the shop about servicing the FZ1 forks. I didn't plan on modding them, just new seals, oil, etc. Then I thought, "Pete, why bother with the FZ1 fork? Go find an R1 fork young man." < This is simply for dramatic flair, I really don't think that way.

Regardless...I just bought a pair of forks for $277 shipped to the doorstep! Now I need to scare up some brake calipers, M/C and SS lines. This bad boy will be trick!

View attachment 6901

They look to be in good nic. Let us know how it goes after fitting.

They do look good, you just never know until they arrive. I would have liked to used the forks for the six pot calipers but I didn't want to deal with fitment issues. From what I understand this is pretty much plug-n-play. I'll admit I do need to read up on it a little more.

Well done, this is the best upgrade for the FZ1, the R1 forks are the only way to go, i installed the R1 mastercylinder aswell with custom made lines. Post some pics when fitted.

How does the R1 front end upgrade compare to a Triaxxon/ Penske(just to throw out some names) upgrade.
Basically I would like to do something like this in the future but I took a serious hit to the pocketboock. Just want to make an educated decision.

Last edited:
How does the R1 front end upgrade compare to a Triaxxon/ Penske(just to throw out some names) upgrade.
Basically I would like to do something like this in the future but I took a serious hit to the pocketboock. Just want to make an educated decision.

i believe the upgrade is mainly for the radial mount brake calipers, rather than the performance of the fork.

From what I've read the R1 fork is much more compliant with a much better range of adjustment vs. the FZ1 fork. How that compares to the Traxxion upgrade I'm not sure. What I don't want to spend is $1,000 on fork upgrades for a street bike. If this was a track bike, or had a terrible fork like and FZ6 or SV650 it may be worth the $1000.

On my FZ6 I upgraded the front end with '04 R6 forks. The difference was night and day. The fork actually worked. It tracked over bumps, it was fully adjustable, etc.

The FZ1 fork is okay, its not bad, but it isn't great either. I suspect that the R1 upgrade will be well worth it, and as aRcHer mentioned the brakes will be better too.

I picked up a pair of calipers today for $50. I'm hoping I can reuse my Russell brakelines.

While I'm shopping for an R1 MC, can I use the FZ1, do the ratios match?

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

I picked up a pair of calipers today for $50. I'm hoping I can reuse my Russell brakelines.

While I'm shopping for an R1 MC, can I use the FZ1, do the ratios match?

Yes you can use the FZ1 MC. I have 06 R1 forks, calipers, and axel, with the FZ1 MC. The bend on the R1 MC is different, so I just kept the FZ1 MC and upgraded to galfer steel lines made for the FZ1. You also don't have to figure out how to attach the external MC reservoir if you keep the FZ1 MC, although there are simple options for that like Johnnyontherocks who used a bicycle reflector mount.

The stock FZ forks are not bad and when properly sprung for your weight and re valved they do quite well. How ever they don't have the adjustment options of the R1 fork. The rear shock on the FZ sucks, plain and simple. Any of the penske shocks are a huge step forward once you begin to push the bike. I am sure any of the other after market brands will do the the job just as well.

R1 forks = Rebound & compression adjustment in each fork, radial brakes & MC if you want. Heaps more adjustment than the FZ1 forks. More compliant, smoother ride & easier to make upgrades if needed. FZ1 forks feel wooden & throwing $$$ at them in false economy IMO especially when a pair of R1 forks can be had for about the same as a PC3.

Aren't the R1 forks 12mm shorter than stock FZ1 forks?
The geometry change would be huge.

Good question. I read that they are short, I've read they are the same, no idea. 12mm isn't too much, with the relaxed geometry of the FZ1 I don't thing it will matter that much if they are shorter.

We'll see. They shipped Monday so hopefully I'll have them by the end of the week. I'll measure them and post up the findings.

The 07/08 R1 forks I have on my FZ are around 12mm shorter than the stock FZ pieces. I have the forks down just a bit in the tripples so the difference is a small bit less. I also have a ride height adjustable Penske in the back which is set about 5mm longer than stock. Turn in much improved and I have found no indication of over twitchiness or "death wobbles." . . . .

The overall experience is much improved from the stock setup. The spring rate on 07/08 front seems just right for duty in the FZ with my 150 lbs. I have sag set where I like it and room to go in either direction. The forks handle the crap roads around DC nicely yet give improved sporting performance once dialed in. The 6 piston brakes and radial MC provide good feel and powerful stopping. Installation was very straight forward; I used the complete(except for the trees) 07/08 setup including forks, calipers, rotors and mc. If you want to keep your stock rotors the calipers would need to be shimmed to clear their larger diameter. Better to use the R1 pieces IMHO.

From what i have read the earlier R1 setups offer similar results. The forks are reported to be 10-15mm shorter. The spring rate may not be as high as the later R1 so a new set of springs might be required particularly for larger individuals. Rotors are the same size so that is one less piece to buy. The 4 piston radial brakes seem to work well.

I would use either a stock r1 radial design MC or aftemarket rather than the stock FZ one. If you are going to the trouble and expense of doing this upgrade it seems foolish not to complete the swap. The FZ's unit is not a radial design and didn't provide the same quality feel (I tried it!) that the R1 MC does. BTW, brake lines for the stock FZ figuration worked OK with R1 calipers and mc.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
The 07/08 R1 forks I have on my FZ are around 12mm shorter than the stock FZ pieces. I have the forks down just a bit in the tripples so the difference is a small bit less. I also have a ride height adjustable Penske in the back which is set about 5mm longer than stock. Turn in much improved and I have found no indication of over twitchiness or "death wobbles." . . . .

The overall experience is much improved from the stock setup. The spring rate on 07/08 front seems just right for duty in the FZ with my 150 lbs. I have sag set where I like it and room to go in either direction. The forks handle the crap roads around DC nicely yet give improved sporting performance once dialed in. The 6 piston brakes and radial MC provide good feel and powerful stopping. Installation was very straight forward; I used the complete(except for the trees) 07/08 setup including forks, calipers, rotors and mc. If you want to keep your stock rotors the calipers would need to be shimmed to clear their larger diameter. Better to use the R1 pieces IMHO.

From what i have read the earlier R1 setups offer similar results. The forks are reported to be 10-15mm shorter. The spring rate may not be as high as the later R1 so a new set of springs might be required particularly for larger individuals. Rotors are the same size so that is one less piece to buy. The 4 piston radial brakes seem to work well.

I would use either a stock r1 radial design MC or aftemarket rather than the stock FZ one. If you are going to the trouble and expense of doing this upgrade it seems foolish not to complete the swap. The FZ's unit is not a radial design and didn't provide the same quality feel (I tried it!) that the R1 MC does. BTW, brake lines for the stock FZ figuration worked OK with R1 calipers and mc.

Enjoy!

Great information! Concise and answered a lot of questions. :tup:

When you say complete, was that the R1 fender too? :D

Pete, I have the 05's in mine and could not be happier. Lee from Traxxion recommended the stock R1 springs for my weight 165 lbs. I did change the fork oil before installed. I'm 2.5 mm below the top of the tripled. R1 and FZ1 fenders are the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny, do you know if the fender is also the same for the newer '07+ years? If I was to swap, I'd be looking at the newer set and trying to find a complete front. :D

Question though... if the newer R1 ('07+ years) are really good forks, what are these R1 owners replacing them with? ;) I'm ignorant when it comes to aftermarket forks. :eek5:

Johnny, do you know if the fender is also the same for the newer '07+ years? If I was to swap, I'd be looking at the newer set and trying to find a complete front. :D

Question though... if the newer R1 ('07+ years) are really good forks, what are these R1 owners replacing them with? ;) I'm ignorant when it comes to aftermarket forks. :eek5:

Ohlins at $2200 a set. Or Ohlins inserts. My R6 has inserts and they are amazing.

Thanks for the info everyone, I'm really excited about this mod.

Back