R1 fork conversion

Search the website, there is a ton of info on R1 fork conversions.

Most that have done the conversion have either 2004-2006 R1 forks or 2007-2008 R1 forks, both come with radial brakes which work best with R1/R6 radial master cylinders.

Last edited:
All the R1 forks will go into the factory triples.

The 04-06 forks can use the FZ1 Master cylinder as they are 4 piston calipers like the FZ1, but the 07+ 6 piston calipers will need the R1 Master from those years.

I promised myself thatI would not spend anymore money on the Fz1 but every time I see the R1 fork conversion topic It makes me postpone my promise....

Conclusion: YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME :banghead:

All the R1 forks need their matching calipers. They are radially mounted, the bolts go straight through them from top to bottom vs going through the sides on the two leg bracket setup like on the FZ1.

If I was running the 04-06 forks and calipers, I would not bother with the R1 MC as the FZ1 is setup to handle 4 piston calipers already. Getting into the 07+ stuff is a little more work but IMO its worth it. I LOVE my 6 piston brakes and forks.

All R1 forks (04 or later, I think) will fit the FZ1 clamps. FZ1 brakes will not fit these forks. Look for 07 or later forks so you can use the 6-piston R1 caliers, very cool. You should be able to get R1 calipers and a master cylinder for a couple hundred bucks on ebay. If you really want to drop some cash, get Ohlins forks for an 07 R1. They can be "spaced" up 10mm, making them almost as long as FZ1 forks. BTW, you'll need the "narrow path" rotors, I'm using 2010 R1 rotors.

My understanding was that the 04 R1 forks could also use the actual FZ1 calipers making it a direct, bolt-on replacement. Is that accurate?

You can't use the FZ1 brake calipers, no. That's part of the point of this upgrade: radially mounted brakes vs the FZ1's conventionally mounted brakes. Maybe you were thinking of the brake rotors. With the 04-06 R1 forks you can retain the 300mm FZ1 rotors (pads, too). With the 07-08 R1 6-piston setup you either need to add 5mm spacers between calipers and forks or swap in the matching 310mm rotors. But if you're gonna spend the extra $$$ for the newer setup, you'll probably want the matching rotors, anyway.

I suppose you could call it a bolt-on replacement since the triple clamps don't need to be modified. You will need to bleed your new brakes, though. It is a chore but absolutely worth the effort for the improvement in braking power and feel.

07 R1 forks

ok... 07 R1 forks w/ triple tree, brakes, and caliper system... asking $475... sounds like it's in the price area from some ebay prices I saw... Any opinions? figure to try $400... and go from there... claim to be straight and good condition... haven't seen them in person yet

That's a better deal than I've seen lately on eBay, esp since it includes the master cylinder. Like you said, you'll need to check it out in person to confirm good condition.

And keep in mind you'll also need 310mm rotors or spacers for the caliper mounts.

I paid $380 locally for the 04-06 parts (forks, calipers, M/C, axle) last year.

Fitting R1 forks to an FZ1

I've just bought some forks and 6 pot calipers off an R1 to fit to my 2006 FZ1. Can someone tell me if you can use theFZ1 brake lines or do I need to get R1 brake lines.

Thanks

If you use the fz1 mc you need the fz1 lines. If you use the r1 mc you need longer lines as the banjo bolt is 60mm further out on the bar. A great excuse to upgrade to braided lines. I went with red Hel braided lines.

I have just completed this conversion with the 07/08 setup.
I needed the forks, calipers, caliper 5mm spacers, (if keeping your fz1 rotors), front axle (use your existing wheel spacers), R1 Radial master cylinder and R1 braided lines 60cm longer than stock, the FZ1 lines are slightly different.

I will post a more detailed account of the swap once i have the spare time but their is a ton of info here already.

Good luck with it. I have only been out on mine once since i finished covering 120 miles and even without dialing in the settings the difference is amazing. I am getting much more feedback, the front end feels firmly planted and soaking up the bumps is far better.
I am delighted with the swap and grateful to the guys on this forum who took the time to provide the details for what's involved.

Back