Racetech springs settings?

Hello All,
This week I will be replacing my stock fork springs with Racetech springs that are 1.0kg. I chose the replacement in part due to the forks needing an oil change and sine I weigh 88kg with street gear.

My rear suspension is a Matris aftermarket shock.

I am a suspension newbie and was wondering how will the new forks effect my fork settings?

I am currently set at 5.5 bands, comp 7 clicks from hardest Rebound 11 clicks from hardest.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am a fairly aggressive rider that rides mostly in mountain twisties and the pavement is not the smoothest.

Thank you

These new springs will require you to cut your stock spacer tube down to try and match the length of the OEM spring+spacer. Measure the OEM setup carefully, then place the Racetech spring and spacer together to determine the new length. Cut the spacer from the bottom. When I did mine, I cut less than I should have and need to take them out and cut again because it is too compressed and I have the preloads backed all the way out with no ability to set proper static sag. See my DIY thread here: http://www.998cc.org/forum/suspension/14322-eric-s-gen-ii-suspension-notebook-w-penske-usd-forks-diy-manual.html

How much did you cut the spacer? I saw the post where you had to go back and cut 6-8mm. Does that mean initially you should have cut the spacer to match the new spring?

How much did you cut the spacer? I saw the post where you had to go back and cut 6-8mm. Does that mean initially you should have cut the spacer to match the new spring?

I should have cut it to match the combined length of the OEM spacer and spring. The Racetech spring is longer and much stiffer. With the spacer too long, it is always preloaded so to allow adjustment, I need to cut more off. I was attempting on overcompensate when I should have trusted the installation document and cut the spacer exactly as it stated. I did not realize this at the time but it makes perfect sense to cut it to match what used to be inside the fork for overall length.

I hope that makes sense.... ;)

I did the swing swap today. I guess the owner before had done a fork rebuild. The oil was a red color and there were tool marks.

I also noticed the difference of spring length was no as large. The springs were only about 5mm different in length. Were the forks from a 2009 and 2006 different?

I took the bike for a short ride and my initial reaction is that the bike felt stiffer over bumps and flicked so much easier. The bike feels like a 400cc bike I had before. The bike definitely feels more planted, at speeds over 50km the bike feels smooth and I didn't notice when I hit over 100kmh

All in all I am happy, I will play with the settings a bit more this weekend.

I do not believe there was much difference between the years as far as forks but I'm not sure anyone has ever compared them. Glad you got it done and are back up on two. Did you use the different weight oils for each leg?

As you could see in my pics, there was a considerable difference. Maybe my weight compressed the OEM springs too much? LOL!!!!

LOL i doubt you are that big to compress them that much. Now me on the other hand

Well I was back on the bike, but it seems I am out of commission for a while. I crashed this weekend and am waiting on possibility of repair. My fault since I crossed the center line going around a hairpin. I wasnt paying attention and the hairpin creeped up on me.
Thankfully I am ok. My gear protected me and I walked away with a minor concussion.

Back