Rear Running Lights

I like the looks of the clear lenses a lot but my rear brake lens is still stock and I wanted to match, as best I could, that red color. Plus, I already had the orange lenses and the paint from a previous similar project with a former bike i.e. I"M CHEAP! :)

Daytime062310060722.jpg
taillight062010232043-1.jpg

TurnLeft062310060632.jpg
NightLight062010232009.jpg

Last edited:
^ I knew this was possible since I did this on my cruiser, I just purchased an pair of front lights and then the dealer taped into the rear light to get constant lighs to my rear t/s. If I can find clear lens for my FZ, I will do it also, then again it's probably hard to find a clear tail light cover. I've already tried

^ I knew this was possible since I did this on my cruiser, I just purchased an pair of front lights and then the dealer taped into the rear light to get constant lighs to my rear t/s. If I can find clear lens for my FZ, I will do it also, then again it's probably hard to find a clear tail light cover. I've already tried

The only clear tail light lenses that I've seen have been for the integrated tail/signal ones like this:

3564d1280110660-rear-running-lights-fz1_clear.jpg

I'd have to check NH laws about running lights on a motorcycle in the rear. I think we are fine so long as they display in red and signal in amber.

^ Yep that's a big one. i did my cruiser when I was in TX and their laws stated that it had to be red in the rear. Now I'm in GA and I just run the same set up anyway, don't even know what their laws state :)

Tricky part is if ur using it as running lights it has to be RED but some stated say T/S has to be ORANGE? Hmmmm 2 colors from 1 bulb. Let me know how that works out

Ebay has listings for clear Gen I tail lights all the time:
YAMAHA LED TAIL LIGHT TURN SIGNALS CLEAR 2001 - 05 FZ1: eBay Motors (item 180532853683 end time Aug-12-10 17:10:44 PDT)

When I saw these, I wondered why any one would want them but after reading this, I think they would solve any legality issues:
click image for link to listing.

I'm not sure how bright they would be though.

They are very nice Tamer but unfortunately I saw the seller's Feedback Score and I wouldn't even bother. If you can't keep your Feedback above a 98% there's something wrong. Maybe not with the actual product but with something for sure. I'll have to sit down later and go through his feedback and see what the issues are. Thanks for posting it! Nice find!

Last edited:
It's not something I was considering so I didn't bother checking the feedback score. At least you know that kind of product is out there, maybe you can find it somewhere else that isn't ebay because I don't think there is another seller with those. Good luck.

Resurrecting an old thread, but I think y'all have answered a question for me. I just want to confirm ...

Are the turn signals usually all off, only lighting up when you activate the turn signals or hazards? Or, are any of them (front or rear) normally lit up solid when the blinkers are not in use?

It seems from what I have read in this thread that the front turn signal indicators are always on as running lights, and the rears only serve as turn signals or hazard lights. Is this correct?

2011 FZ1 - I hopped on it the other day and noticed that the front turn signal indicators were on, lit solid. The fronts were on, the rears were dark.

Now I don't remember for sure, but it seems like they are all usually dark - only coming on when you activate the turn signals or hazards. Turn signals and hazards work as they should.

Just wondering if I have a possible short or other issue. I'd hate to find out while out on a trip several days from home. Maybe all is well, but I just wanted to ask to be sure. (Is this because I've been on the 1190 ADV too much, or because I was in a fatigued stupor after another sleepless night on the ambulance? Who knows ...)

Resurrecting an old thread, but I think y'all have answered a question for me. I just want to confirm ...

Are the turn signals usually all off, only lighting up when you activate the turn signals or hazards? Or, are any of them (front or rear) normally lit up solid when the blinkers are not in use?

It seems from what I have read in this thread that the front turn signal indicators are always on as running lights, and the rears only serve as turn signals or hazard lights. Is this correct?

2011 FZ1 - I hopped on it the other day and noticed that the front turn signal indicators were on, lit solid. The fronts were on, the rears were dark.

Now I don't remember for sure, but it seems like they are all usually dark - only coming on when you activate the turn signals or hazards. Turn signals and hazards work as they should.

Just wondering if I have a possible short or other issue. I'd hate to find out while out on a trip several days from home. Maybe all is well, but I just wanted to ask to be sure. (Is this because I've been on the 1190 ADV too much, or because I was in a fatigued stupor after another sleepless night on the ambulance? Who knows ...)

Only the fronts stay lit all the time. The rears only activate with the turn signal operation.

Check with the local authorities Billy. I think Dustin hit the key note... Only running lights allowed on the rear would be red which means your tail light is your only running light.

You could try this one... Custom Dynamics® SMART Triple Play® There is a Universal option.

Here's another less expensive option: Turn Signal To Running/Turn/Brake Light Conversion Kit

Wait, I'm confused now. I don't have any issue with my lights. I just answered the OP's original question. On our bikes the only light in the back you have while running is the rear red light. The rear turn signals are not lit unless you hit the turn signal switch.

Back