Replacing Clutch Springs

BroHay

Stihl Loves Trees
..... if the bike has 20k or so on the odometer, it might be a good idea to pull the engine cover, ditch the stock clutch springs, and put in some good aftermarket springs... the stock springs are somewhat weak, and usually need to be replaced around 20-30k.

good luck in looking... hope you find a great one!!

Seeing this in one of your posts....you got any more info (part numbers) and any "How To" information -- other than what one may find in the service manual??

Odometer is at 31,500 (and change)

Adam

Last edited:
Being that most of my buying experiences have been aftermarket, for the gasket, readily available from many sources or just the dealer?

Problems with Internet and reduced to iPhone

You can get aftermarket gaskets... in fact... I did... but also got a few OEM gaskets.... ended up using the OEM and throwing the aftermarket in the trash... the aftermarket was supposed to be "impregnated" with rubber... but the resulting feel was like the gasket was made of plastic.. it just didn't feel right.... so I didn't feel comfortable using it... OEM works great... no RTV needed....

get it from PartShark.com --- Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Apparel, & Merchandise. .... but I'd wait till you need some other OEM stuff... to save on shipping.

I've replaced springs when running higher HP motors than stock, but on a stock motor I don't see the point? Has anyone had slipping do to the springs?

Good question... mine were starting to allow the clutch to slip at about 25,000 miles... I thought the clutch itself was toast... but I figured that springs were cheap... and if I was going to do a whole clutch kit I would have to replace springs anyhow... so... I just tried springs first, and that took care of the problem...

Glenn (Ravenrider) always suggests replacing the springs once the mileage gets up... I never put much thought into it until I started to get a little slippage...

Back