RPM Fluctuation

FZ1 enthusiasts:

My 2003 FZ1 has an issue where the engine RPM is fluctuating on acceleration. It's most noticeable in the 3,000 to 6,000 RPM range, but it's definitely there higher than that also. It gets worse if I've been out on the bike for maybe 120 miles or so in a day. I haven't dug into this problem deeply yet, and I don't know the bike very well yet, as I have only had it for a little over a year. The bike came to me from southern California with a lot of miles on it (about 97k) and many pages of maintenance records. I'm thinking about things like ignition coils, spark plugs, spark plug resistor caps, fuel pump, fuel petcock, vacuum leakage, EXUP system, and carb syncing. Does anyone have advice on choosing a starting point?

Thanks.

--Nate

I've started some troubleshooting on this, and I may have found a smoking gun already--I have very high, out-of-limts resistance readings from one or more coil terminals to one or more spark plug terminals. The bike has some age and a lot of miles on it, so I want to put all new coils, caps and wires on it anyway. The caps are expensive, however, like $100 apiece X 4, so I'd like to find a cheaper solution, like maybe a universal version or something. Does anyone have any ideas?

Being a new FZ owner, and not very knowledgeable when it comes to electrical issues, I was thinking it might be a clutch/transmission slipping issue. Wish I could be of more help and hope someone chimes in with some ideas for ya!

Side note: Kinda bummed at how little activity there is on this forum as a whole. Coming from an F4i, I'm used to low participation but this forum makes my old one seem like crowded dance party by comparison!

Back