Rust-eze

FZOOM1

I just picked up an FZ that has been sitting for 14-15 years, apparently. The biggest issue I’m having is trying to get this old gas and rust out of this tank! It’s got so many curves and none of the holes are at a low spot. Anybody I’ve experience with the best solution here? This is after dumping the old fuel and about a full lb of brown chunks followed by one rinse/soak with vinegar. This is probably the cleanest part but you can see the leftover sludge that I can’t drain out there as well. Does anyone have a clean gen 1 blue fuel tank they want to sell me!?A5C108CB-E674-42CC-9ED9-8EB374C2161B.jpeg

It may be hard finding a good used tank. I’ve had good luck with diluted phosphoric acid and some ball bearings. I soaked it over night and shook it around several times and the inside came out looking great. Check YouTube for tutorials…

When my bike got knocked over in a parking lot by an idiot car driver (I was not there, bike was parked in bike only parking), I got a insurance payment to go towards replacing the tank and plastics. Instead of new I checked eBay and there were a bunch for sale at the time, some in perfect shape, some dinged up as well.

I ended up sanding the section of paint that was damaged and just tossing on some black paint to cover the metal, but there were options.

I did a quick search, this one is silver, one big ding from a drop:

Black one, also a big ding in it:

Depending on how pristine you want your bike to look you can sand and prep these and find a color matched rattle can to paint the replacement tank. Or find a local body show to do it for you.

Back