Scorpion EXO 1000 Users Wanted !!

I am more oval head shape. Anyone have experience with how these fir oval?

I am going to either get one of these or the HJC IS-16. I like the price of the IS-16 and I know HJC fits my head. I like the Scorpion since it is DOT & Snell. I need a Snell for the local tracks.

Of you're oval headed (like me) the Scorpion will likely not fit well. My melon is what Arai calls "intermediate oval" and every Scorpion I have tried gave me a serious headache after about 30 minutes. Fortunately I have a local shop with great prices (Motogearoutlet) where I can try stuff on and walk around with it for an hour while chatting with the nice folks there.

FWIW, my :2cents: ... I know they are expensive but there is nothing that compares with Arai with respect to comfort. I learned that the hard way also but will not consider anything else any more.

At the beginning of this season I purchased a Shoei RF1100, and I found it to worth every penny. I got it from compacc for 289 delivered. It fits true to size, it's quiet, aerodynamic and comfortable for long trips. I never owned an Arai yet, but Shoei sells at a price point that is within reach for my budget. BTW the RF1100 is Snell 2010 certified.
heineken00087.jpg

At the beginning of this season I purchased a Shoei RF1100, and I found it to worth every penny. I got it from compacc for 289 delivered. It fits true to size, it's quiet, aerodynamic and comfortable for long trips. I never owned an Arai yet, but Shoei sells at a price point that is within reach for my budget. BTW the RF1100 is Snell 2010 certified.
heineken00087.jpg

I'm thinking you meant to attach a different picture. You fixed it before I could post.

As to the RF-1100, I concur ! Love mine.

Last edited:
I'm asking that any EXO 1000 users would be so kind as to help me out here. I'm looking to purchase one soon but am having an issue with fitment. According to the Scorpion website, the fitment chart says that I should wear a "medium". I don't think this could be right. My head measures exactly
22-3/4" (No Fat Head Jokes!), around at the temple and above the eyebrow. The Bell I wear now is an XL and is still tight on me. I'd appreciate it if maybe some of you guys that currently wear one or have worn one in the past, could tell me what size helmet you have or had, and what your head measures. At some point I will have to take the hour ride down to Cycle Gear and hope they have some there to try on but in the meantime I'd like to get an idea of fitment on this particular helmet. Thanks guys!

This is Scorpion's Fitment Chart Page...Scorpion Sports 2010 Helmet size chart

I was wondering the same thing. I fit into a medium HJC and by scorpion's measurment chart I'm just under the large catagory so that is what I ordered. I got it for $290 shipped and if it get's here before you make a decision I will let you know.

Hi Billy
I didn't notice this thread existed until today or I would have responded sooner. I have a 23-1/4 inch head. I have the exo-1000 extra large. It fits perfect. As I've said before,
-Very comfortable
-Love the flip down visor
-A bit heavy
-shield is flimsy and needs more click stops in the barely open position. The locking mechanisim doesn't work too well.

I'll probably be in the Bronx for work one day soon. If you're around during the day we could get together and you can try it on. Or if we get together for another ride one of these days we could do it then too. Not sure how much of a hurry to buy you're in though.

Steve

Hi Billy
I didn't notice this thread existed until today or I would have responded sooner. I have a 23-1/4 inch head. I have the exo-1000 extra large. It fits perfect. As I've said before,
-Very comfortable
-Love the flip down visor
-A bit heavy
-shield is flimsy and needs more click stops in the barely open position. The locking mechanisim doesn't work too well.

I'll probably be in the Bronx for work one day soon. If you're around during the day we could get together and you can try it on. Or if we get together for another ride one of these days we could do it then too. Not sure how much of a hurry to buy you're in though.

Steve

Thanks Steve! Thats right, I forgot that you have that model. It probably won't be until after the trip out to Eric's house so I have time. Most likely next month. Thanks.

Got mine today!

Alright I ordered the exo 1000 large size and my head is just about 23 inches maybe a little less. The helmet is definetly snug and I hope that it will loosen up a little as I break it in. It's definetly tight at the bottom trying to get it on but I didn't notice anything unusual. If your looking for extreme comfort the X-Large might be the way to go especially with the inflatable cheek pads. I'm not sure if I'm going to try and break it in or send it back for an extra large, decisions decisions :thinking:

Alright I ordered the exo 1000 large size and my head is just about 23 inches maybe a little less. The helmet is definetly snug and I hope that it will loosen up a little as I break it in. It's definetly tight at the bottom trying to get it on but I didn't notice anything unusual. If your looking for extreme comfort the X-Large might be the way to go especially with the inflatable cheek pads. I'm not sure if I'm going to try and break it in or send it back for an extra large, decisions decisions :thinking:

I'm returning the Large and getting an extra large. Hope this helps.

I'm returning the Large and getting an extra large. Hope this helps.

Thanks Fun, I knew that a medium was far fetched as I now wear a XL in a Bell and it too is tight. At 22-3/4", I should just go with the XL and if need be just inflate the cheek pads. I already called Cycle Gear today and they have a couple in stock so I am using it as an excuse to ride there tomorrow to try some on. I appreciate all the feedback that you have given. Nice job!

I ran out to CycleGear this morning to check out the helmets first hand. First off, I'd like to say that this particular store in Edison, New Jersey has the most polite and helpful staff that I've ever experienced. Not too common these days, especially around these parts.

It winds up that my head is just too long for many helmets out there. I tried on the Scorpion EX700 in an XL. I looked like Jay Leno's twin brother! My chin sticking out below the helmet. Also, the chin area is just too close to my mouth. I'd never be able to install the boom mike for the SENA system in that helmet. The same held true for the KBC's they had and the HJC's. The sales guy then brought me an Arai helmet in an XL. Of course it fit perfectly! Not to mention that it was one of the lightest helmets I've ever put on. It's like you weren't wearing anything at all. Hence my dilemma. It was a 700 dollar helmet, on sale for 330.00, and doesn't have the fold down internal visor. I'm so tired of carrying around the clear shield with me to "Bike Night"and having to switch out to go home. I'm going to see if Arai has a polychromatic shield for their helmets. Either that or I'm going to stick my head in a vise at night and hope to shorten it a bit. LOL.

So then I walked around, trying on gloves, looking for some cool stuff. They had my battery there which I was tempted to get but passed because I had never heard of the brand. It was 114 bucks. Just as I was leaving for home I happened to glance over and saw a stack of Mobil 1 Synthetic oil on sale from 16.99 a quart, to 9.99 a quart, until May 16th. I scooped up 4 quarts and headed for home. My regular petroleum Yamalube is 8 dollars a quart so I thought it was a great price for the Mobile 1. This weekend I'll be switching over. I'll be able to test her out on my annual Mother's Day Ride this Sunday.

In closing, the helmet hunt goes on! If I can find the polychromatic shield, I may call Gabriel (Salesguy) and have him take the Arai aside for me. It certainly was a great fitting helmet.

Sorry to hear the Scorpion didn't work out for you. What model was that Arai? For them to reduce the price that much it's probably been discontinued, but for that price who cares. Nice thing about Arai is that their different models fit different shaped heads. Some are better suited for round heads others for oval shaped ones...

Sorry to hear the Scorpion didn't work out for you. What model was that Arai? For them to reduce the price that much it's probably been discontinued, but for that price who cares. Nice thing about Arai is that their different models fit different shaped heads. Some are better suited for round heads others for oval shaped ones...

I think it was an RX something. I wasn't sure. It was solid black and comfortable as heck. I'm going to call Gabriel tomorrow morning to get the model number. I think I may have found some auto darkening inserts for it online. I want to be sure first. Man! I really wanted that EXO1000! Damn Head!!!!!!

I bought at Scorpion EXO 100 last year at the South Texas Motorcycle Show and the salesmen told me the exact same thing. I have always worn a XL helmet in the past and was kind of stunned when they were shoving a medium on my big head! LOL
I told them to let me think about it and came back early the next day (different salesmen were there) and I bought an XL (my normal size helmet). I don't claim to be any kind of expert but I am the one who has to wear the helmet and I'm also the one who has to shell out the cash for it. I just disagreed with the salesmen and went with my gut - as well as going with the size that I have bought every since high school.
Sorry but I say go with your gut and buy what feels comfortable. After all - don't forget about the inflatable bladder that you can pump up to make it a custom fit.
Good luck.

TPJ

I bought at Scorpion EXO 100 last year at the South Texas Motorcycle Show and the salesmen told me the exact same thing. I have always worn a XL helmet in the past and was kind of stunned when they were shoving a medium on my big head! LOL
I told them to let me think about it and came back early the next day (different salesmen were there) and I bought an XL (my normal size helmet). I don't claim to be any kind of expert but I am the one who has to wear the helmet and I'm also the one who has to shell out the cash for it. I just disagreed with the salesmen and went with my gut - as well as going with the size that I have bought every since high school.
Sorry but I say go with your gut and buy what feels comfortable. After all - don't forget about the inflatable bladder that you can pump up to make it a custom fit.
Good luck.

TPJ

Thanks. Thats exactly what I found out as well. I can't imagine who they are using as models for these helmets. I'd have to be a "pin head" in order to wear a medium in the Scorpian. Aside from that, the Scorpian unfortunately doesn't fit well on someone with a "long" profile head. My chin was flapping in the breeze in an XL. I guess my watermelon shaped head needs another shape of helmet which I found in the Arai Quantum 2. I've put it on the back burner for now and will just continue with my Bell in the meantime. Thanks again for the input.

This is what you should do, Measure head so you know what size you should be then go to shop pick helmet you like and then take out the cheek pads so you can check that it fits snug around crown of head and make sure that the top of your head is in touch with the lining.
Then put cheek pads in and if they feel to tight get the next size down.
I have always bought a large in helmets until the day I measured my head. I sit between a medium and large. So I decided to get a medium in the ARAI rx7 and put in the liner for the large which has less padding and left the medium cheek pads in.
I wish I did this years ago It is so much better having a proper fitting helmet.
I think that buying a helmet is one of the most frustrating things out there as its so damn hard to get the right fit by just trying one on and then another as they seem so tight with the cheek pads in that its to easy to get the wrong size and find out in 12months or less that its getting way to loose on your head.
Hope this helps as this is what I ended up doing and don't just listen to the salesman as in the end they don't really care.

Last edited:
Back