Scorpion EXO 400

Dustin

So I just busted down to the border this morning and picked up my brand new EXO 400 to replace my very beat up Arai Vector. The Arai was an excellent helmet but after 3 years and well over 60,000 miles, it has seen better days.

I was shopping around for replacements and I had considered another Vector but decided against it as there were a few things I didn't like about it:

- Noise
- Tendency to fog, even on warm dry days
- Non-removable liner, impossible to keep clean and fresh
- Poor quality of visor components (I had the plastic screws some apart a few times)

I did some shopping around, tried on some helmets and wanted to see what was out there for a good price. After trying on a dozen or so helmets, I was down to the Shoei RF-1100 and the Scorpion EXO-400 (which was shocking to me). Simply due to price, I went with the Scorpion.

I have to say, I'm impressed. The reviews you read online are true, it's an excellent helmet and feels and looks way beyond its price point.

I picked up my medium EXO 400 in solid metallic graphite for about $70 all in. I've only put about 40 miles on it so far but here are my initial thoughts.

Pros:
- Great build quality for the price. All components are well-designed and well thought out.
- Quality paint & finish, looks great too
- Good visor optics and the anti-fog works bloody well.
- Visor operation is smooth and easy, fairly easy to change visors. Cheap replacements @ $35 for plain ones with the 'Everclear' coating
- Removable liner
- Extremely quiet despite having no chin skirt

Cons:
- Liner is not nearly as plush as the Arai, Shoei or Shark helmets I have tried. Feels its price.
- Pain in the ass to clean the visor. Because of the anti-fog coating, you have to be very careful you don't screw it up.
- Heavy & bulky compared to my Arai Vector (I will add that you do not feel the weight at all when wearing it so maybe this is a moot point)
- Seems like the ventilation is not fantastic but I'm not sure about this yet
- The lack of a chin skirt blows air into your face (I ordered the optional skirt for $7 and will report back)

Although the RF-1100 was definitely more plush and comfortable; there's no way I'd pay triple for it compared to the EXO 400--I am shocked at how nice it is considering what I paid.

Look forward to another 60,000 miles with this helmet--we'll see if it can handle my abuse.

exo400_LRG.jpg

Last edited:
Good read...................the wife and I both just got the EXO 700, we have not yet had a chance to really try them out, other than I took a quick spin just to see how it feels and so far I like it.

We got some pretty cool graphics on each at closeout prices from C.A. and I actually almost got a 400 because I really liked the graphics on it. Ended up with the 700 thinking it should be a little more high end ?

700 and 400 both are SNELL rated, which is important to us, since NHRA and some other racing sanctions don't recognize ECE. I am amazed that some of the really expensive helmets are NOT snell rated , just have the new ECE rating which I'm told is due to the very liteweight helmets not passing the Snell tests.

Glad you seem pretty happy with yours, I'll post when I get some time on mine.

Last edited:
I am amazed that some of the really expensive helmets are NOT snell rated , just have the new ECE rating which I'm told is due to the very liteweight helmets not passing the Snell tests.

For what it's worth, the ECE 22-05 rating is supposed to be superior to that of the Snell M2005 rating. As far as I'm aware, Snell actually updated their rating for 2010 to more closely match the ECE system which may say a lot about the quality of an ECE rating.

I thought about the 700 as well but I heard the 400 was as good or better but with less features. I opted for the 400 because of the price in the end.

Ya, I thought the same about the ECE vs SNELL ratings , but the bottom line is if the NHRA/our local racetracks do NOT recognize/accept the ECE rating we cant use the helmets to go down the track. That's the reason we had to get the SNELL rating - the racetracks require SNELL.
I have a Simpson SFI spec helmet for my racecar, but the wife uses the same helmet for the cars and her bike and I'm sure I'll take the bike to the track once in a while so we just didnt want to have any issues with the helmets not being " legal "

I agree about the 400 vs 700, alot of times I like getting less features because some are just foof that I dont really care for. I think we'll both be happy with our new lids, time will tell.

I've had a week with this helmet now and also added the optional chin spoiler/curtain which has helped a lot with air blasting up into my face. It's not perfect but it does help. I feel that this piece should really have been integrated with the helmet from the factory.

The EXO 400 is very quiet. It does an excellent job of keeping wind noise down and muffling the outside world--very impressed by this above all else.

The EXO 400 is very quiet. It does an excellent job of keeping wind noise down and muffling the outside world--very impressed by this above all else.

I've always felt Scorpion helmets are a steal. They fit my head really well, are well constructed, and are relatively quite. I have the EXO 700. Did you look at the new EXO 500? (Full Disclosure: I mostly wear my Shoei Multitec. A modular helmet is my preference anymore. I think I always felt a bit claustrophobic in a full face but wanted the protection. Now, when I get to a stop light-up comes the chin guard.)

Last edited:
I haven't looked at the EXO 500 yet but I may in a few years when this thing is all done.

I was really keen on a modular helmet and tried on everything I could at the Seattle bike at the beginning of the year. The problem was that I found they were all a bit clunky and wobbly for me--all except the Schuberth C3 which was $700.

I ended up buying an HJC CL-Max modular on super discount for $40~ and didn't like it, despite the convenience of the flip-up. I sold it on Craigslist for $60 and continued using my Arai Vector until I got this EXO 400.

I think until the C3 comes down in price (or something better comes along), I'll probably stick to a full face.

ive rocked a exo 400 for about 3 years, went through 2 shields, washed the inserts once a year and dropped it so i got a new helmet, when i upgraded i went with the exo 700. price point wise surpasses the 400 by 80%! the 400 is a great helmet though!

I have a EXO 400 also, and a Arai Quantum....I wear them about 50/50 and like them both. The EXO 400 is a much better value, and is a great helmet IMO.

-all except the Schuberth C3 which was $700.

..I think until the C3 comes down in price (or something better comes along), I'll probably stick to a full face.

I hear you there, brother. The C3 is one slick modular helmet. I tried one on at a BMW road show recently. I was surprised at how light on the head it felt, the smallness of the shell size compared to other modulars and the fact that it didn't-at least to me-look like a modular. But, yea, $700 big ones. I'll stick with my sub $400 (sale price) Shoei Multitec for now.

both fit almost the same. the 700 moves quite a bit more air and feels lighter, with a touch of less wind noise.

I think biggest difference between the two (besides the venting) is the shell construction, hence the EXO 700 is a little lighter. Either helmet is a great bargain, especially since you can pick up one of the discontinued colors at a great price.

Back