Scorpion EXO-500 quick impression

Dustin

I went down to the US for a little shopping and stopped in at one of the big dealers in Washington to goof around. When I was there I thought I'd take the opportunity to try the new EXO-500 (which has replaced my EXO-400 as Scorpion's entry-level helmet). Just trying it on in the store I have to say I'm impressed and it's worth the extra coin over the clearance 400s available right now (if you have it to spend).

Some of the key points I noticed over my EXO-400:

- Lighter; or felt lighter and a little more compact.
- New liner is far more comfortable and less harsh/cheap feeling than the EXO-400.
- Retractable sun shade seemed to have pretty good optics. Handy feature I might actually use.
- New visor system has a rotating switch to lock or crack the visor. Didn't see any point in this feature.
- Built in chin air deflector so no need to purchase the add-on from Scorpion
- Pump up cheek pads seemed pointless. I suppose it does help fine-tune the fit but I would rather have seen some weight and money saved without this feature.

After wearing the helmet around in the store, I had some serious buyers remorse with my EXO-400. It was so much more comfortable I felt like it was worth the extra $130 over what I have at the moment.

I'll probably keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on eBay and try to snag one later on.

Back