Scorpion EXO-500

AGV is what Rossi wears. Different model, but good company.

I really like the Arai RX-Q. Pricey I know, but all worth it to me. I recently picked up one for $449 at Revzilla (now have 2)

I tried on the RX-Q last year and loved it. Perfect fit, too and a lot more usable day-to-day than my Arai Vector. Only reason I didn't end up buying one was because this Scorpion impressed me so much when I tried it on.

Last edited:
Rossi? Rossi??

AGV is what Rossi wears. Different model, but good company.

I really like the Arai RX-Q. Pricey I know, but all worth it to me. I recently picked up one for $449 at Revzilla (now have 2)

I've never tried Scorpion, yet...

Oh great. I wear the same brand Rossi wears? Now you'll tell me I have to take this beast above 5,000 rpm. LMBO! Someday.

:unworthy::unworthy::unworthy:

Commission?

Did you ask him why he sold you a piece of crap in the first place? That's some horse shit right there.

What's even worse is they charged $160 for that thing and it just fell apart. At least they refunded it!

No, but I did greet him with, "Hi, you sold me this helmet on 2/13 and it's falling apart. What is an good upgrade for this model?" He didn't even blink. :surrender:

Maybe it's a commission thing in CG(?). The folks in the Helmet area are MOVING fast, constantly greating customers and restocking shelves.

Yea, eight weeks was alittle soon to disintegrate.

Update: Very happy with the EXO-500 still with the exception of one problem. After getting back from a road trip up north, I discovered my visor had sort of shed its external coating (anti-scratch optic coating/Everclear) and become scratched.

My best guess is that it happened while I was wiping snow and ice off up on the mountain pass on the way home. It's sort of an odd issue I have never encountered before and I contacted Richard at Kido/Scorpion customer service and they are sending me a replacement visor.

I have dealt with Richard and Scorpion service in the past and they have always been absolutely fantastic; another reason why I went with another Scorpion helmet.

I will see how this replacement visor treats me and update if I have more issues.

Overall, the helmet is fantastic. It's very comfortable, quiet and easy to wear at speeds.

6030298c-abb0-334e.jpg

Anti-fog performed better than I expected given the conditions

Last edited:
My wife and I are both wearing EXO-700 helmets now, not sure about the diffs from the 500, but we are very happy with;

the fit/comfort ( we tried on before ordering to get best fit the 1st time )
windnoise/buffeting ( or lack of )
style/appearance
SNELL/DOT rated
got great prices on them , closeout at comp acc.

NOT so happy with;

visor open positions - my wifes is fine, has a position just cracked open and then three more, but mine has too big of a first step open, no crack just three positions and I like to have it cracked to get a lil breeze inside on warm days, but my first position opens too much and blasts me right in the eyes. You can see her black piece with the ratchet teeth for the shield is diff than mine, has the extra notch for just cracked, why mine is diff. I dunno?

shield coating is coming off, very slightly on mine , terrible on my wifes ( working on repl. from Richard at Scorpion - thanks for the info Dustin! )

BUGS getting inside the helmet!!!
That is the single, biggest complaint we both have with these helmets. The vents work decent as far as air getting in, but they allow an unbelieveable amount of bugs inside also. I seem to remember having helmets in the past with a fine mesh/screen in the vents to prevent this, but these are by far really bad.
My wife keeps her vents closed most of the time to keep the bugs out, but that kind of defeats the purpose of them, ya know?

Anyone else have trouble with the bugs getting inside?

Anyway, just though I'd post up our findings. All in all we like the helmets, maybe the newer models are improved in the areas we dislike?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your findings. I haven't had any problem with stuff getting up inside the helmet. I added the chin skirt to my EXO-400 and the 500 has it from the factory so maybe that's the difference

Long-term update: Still an excellent helmet. I am happy with every aspect of it except one: the face shields. I have had Scorpion warranty my shields half a dozen times already as they have scratched or worn out prematurely. Their customer service is absolutely tops but I'm afraid the anti-fog system they choose to use is pretty poor. Scorpion Helmets in Europe have apparently switched to a Pinlock system but it's been difficult to get any information from Scorpion USA regarding this.

This helmet has proven to be more comfortable, more durable and better built than my former Arai Vector, which was pretty fragile and also packed in and became uncomfortable as time went on. My EXO-500 fits as well as it did on day one still and I'm sure it will continue to please.

Thanks for the great review Dustin.
I have become a big scorpion fan over the last several years. They continually produce quality products at Fantastic prices. In fact I am convinced that the build quality and materials is in the same ballpark as some of the more established brands.
Another fantastic saying about scorpions is how much they drop the price once that model goes out of date. You can really save some big money at the end of models sales events

I bought an EXO 1000 and I won't go through the steps it took to get one that fit. Order (minimum) 1 size larger. All characteristics are compared to my beloved Bell Star.

Peripheral view is improved, ventilation is not as good, internal sun shade is great but order the optional Dark sunshade as the standard one is useless. More directionally stable when turned off track, internal components of liner appear to be of higher quality but internal airflow(of a very tight helmet) produces very powerful and noisy resonance.

I wear the Scorpion most days as I like the sun visor but I suspect I will be back to the Bell Star when the really warm weather gets here.

Overall? The Scorpion has gimmicky features that I like but the Bell is better thought out and better built.

Hey Viper, I have been mostly wearing the bell vortex for the past year and have been very happy with it, then STG put the bell star on sale so I picked one up. Fit and finish is awesome on the star but I have noticed that the breath deflector and chin curtain seem to be loose, they just don't seem to secure into place very well. Have you noticed this on your helmet?

Thanks for the great review Dustin.
I have become a big scorpion fan over the last several years.

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of Scorpion as well. The EXO-400 I had before was pretty decent but it felt like it was priced. This EXO-500 fits and performs well above its price point, it is excellent value. The quality of the helmets just from one generation of development is pretty amazing

i know this is an old thread but i just bought a exo 500 a couple days ago and love it! for the price, i couldn't find a helmet with better quality/features. ill have to see if the visor scratching issue emerges but everything else seems awesome. my first helmet was a gmax 54. cool features and design but it was total crap. and cost about the same as the exo. heavy, noisy, and not aerodynamic at all. within the year and a half that i owned it the padding inside had broken down to where it was so loose it was unsafe. the flip down sun visor would get stuck and despite all the vents there was literally no air flow. when moving, even at slow speeds, i can feel the air flowing over the top of my head. the sun visor is very lightly tinted but i feel like it still blocks plenty of sun as i dont find myself squinting while its down. the pump is a cool feature too allowing you to customize the sizing and snug the fit even more.

I've heard Scorpion is trying to start a higher end line to compete with Shoei and Arai. I've always found them to have decent quality, but they never really fit my head shape. I also hated the visor attachment method.

visor-removal.jpg

:tdown:

I don't think the newer Scorpions use that visor method.

Here's the new EXO R2000 listing for around $370
scorpion_exor2000_circuit_helmet_blue_detail.jpg

Last edited:
Back