seats

I know of 3 major choices. I have the Corbin and am good with it for 350+ miles. There is the Sargent seat that many like here, I haven't tried it and I can't remember the name, but Cobalt (Eric) has converted many to this ultra comfy (French I think) seat. Sorry I'm too lazy to look it up, but someone will chime in soon and correct my forgetfulness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be opening a can of worms.

Seats: I like Sargent. Others like Corbin. Still other like the more hand crafted seats, I think they come from England (sorry, I can't remember the seat name and I don't feel like using the search function). One guy, once, in a land far, far away preferred the Yamaha gel seat...........but he only weighed 108 pounds so the gel didn't shoot quite so far up his butt. Me, I way 250+ so the gel seat didn't even make it to the end of the driveway.

I hate to say it, but you really have to try out the different seats to know which one will be better for you. Very few people are happy with the stock seat, but some of the replacement choices aren't much better. The Yamaha gel seat isn't liked by many. I tried a Sargent seat and it was better than stock, but after 150 miles I really needed a break. Now I have a Corbin seat and that seems to be better. The Corbin foam is harder than the Sargent and so it doesn't compress as much...works better for me.

My first seat was from seargent but it pleased me not

now I have a Yamaha comfort seat and that suits me better :)

Greetz Joe

I've tried the Corbin but not long enough to say it wasn't the best for me... they claim it takes several hundred miles to conform to your arse. I (thanks Troy) have the Top Saddlery seat from France. I like to think of it as a couch cushion on my bike. I only stop for gas now, not because I'm saddle-sore.

I agree with Tony that it's 100% personal choice. I also believe it has a lot to do with how much you weigh and I tip the scales on the heavier side of a rider... with all gear and tank bag of goodies, about 230 lbs.

I recently placed an order for a Corbin seat for the 919

h919gl_1.jpg

The 919 is the first of my bikes that I've ever been unhappy with the stock seat for long hours. The DRZ doesn't count, of course ;)

I'm excited to see how one of these fancy, expensive aftermarket seats perform!

i got my stock seat repadded by dirtroad on the fz1oa forums - did around 100 miles on it yesterday and my butt wasnt begging for mercy like it would after only 60 miles on the stock seat... i havent tried any of the others (corbin, sargeant) but have been very happy with mine....

havent gotten a chance to take photos or anything yet but ill get some and put them up - id consider checking out the "more seats" thread on yamahafz1oa.com by a guy called dirtroad - there are some examples of his seats there - he has an excellent turn around time, and the seat is pretty awesome.

I've tried the Corbin but not long enough to say it wasn't the best for me... they claim it takes several hundred miles to conform to your arse. I (thanks Troy) have the Top Saddlery seat from France. I like to think of it as a couch cushion on my bike. I only stop for gas now, not because I'm saddle-sore.

I agree with Tony that it's 100% personal choice. I also believe it has a lot to do with how much you weigh and I tip the scales on the heavier side of a rider... with all gear and tank bag of goodies, about 230 lbs.

Thanks Eric. I don't know why Top Saddlery escaped my mind, and I did forget to mention the Yamaha Gel seat. Everyone's arse is different, so seat mileage may vary.

My first seat was from seargent but it pleased me not

now I have a Yamaha comfort seat and that suits me better :)

Greetz Joe

Joe:

I'm considering this Yamaha gel seat. I see some other here not happy with it, some implying it's maybe weight-related. I'm around 160. Are you anywhere in that range?

Also, does it snap right into the old mounts or is modification necessary? Thanks.

Harry

Also, does it snap right into the old mounts or is modification necessary? Thanks.

The gel seat is meant to go right on your bike. No modifications are necessary. At worst you may have to transfer your current seat latch onto it as I don't know if it's included or not.

I just acquired a new 2012 FZ1 and put 260 miles on it in two rides. I found the seat to be very comfy, much better than the bench seats we had in the 60s and 70s.

I'm also a road bicyclist and you don't get much firmer seats than on a 16 pound road machine. In comparison the FZ1 seat is a sofa.

I find it (stock FZ1 seat, mine a 2008) just fine for about 30-45 minutes. After that it may as well be a 2x4.

Last I rode a bicycle, I know exactly what you mean. I was good for maybe five minutes. I don't know how people do it. A torture device for one's butt.

Just took these photos of my seats from dirtroad (Eddie)

Basically what he does is remove the liner, replace the foam in a slightly wider and taller shape, and reupholstered... He also has a "big guy" seat mod that adds foam and makes the seat taller, I did not get my rear seat relaxed just reupholstered and comparing the feel of the two u can tell how much comfy the new foam is.... That said I'm 5'11 and 190-200 lbs and I probably could have gone with some more foam (didn't get the big guy mod) but the seat is still a huge improvement over stock. Pretty much doubled riding time before irritation, u eventually have to stop regardless.

View attachment 14334View attachment 14335View attachment 14336View attachment 14337

Back