Sick and tired of windows blue screen!

Earlier this year I upgraded to Windows7 from Vista thinking it'd cure it but it didn't. A little research and I learned that my video card doesn't have a driver for the updated windows--vista or 7 that I upgraded to.

Blue screen always comes at the wrong time, not that there can be a right time. So today I took action. A wubi download later, and I now have a dual boot OS on my laptop. Windows7 and Ubuntu.

I'm sure I could have searched for a better linux distro but that's what I've got on my desktop (that I need to update to 11. something or other) and the OS I use most often when I'm on it. Now it's on my laptop. Should give it a little longer life because I was seriously thinking about getting rid of it. My desktop is faster but I can't watch tv and be on the internet with it.

That's what I did today instead of taking Baby to the shop for the fork swap. It was raining and bad weather forecasted all day long. The forecast looks better tomorrow so fork swap tomorrow.

Dual booting, Cool!
Ah yes windows.... my fix was to go buy an Apple Mac mini. I'm on it now. This thing rocks! as things are right now I'll be changing out all our pc's for mac's next year. The wife and I are done with Windows!

I was Windows free for about a year, when I had an Apple laptop and Ubuntu on my desktop.

I put Windows back on my desktop for gaming, though.

I used Ubuntu off and on for many, many years but got a bit tired of things just not working quite right. It was a good OS but a novelty at best in the real world.

I ended up moving to Windows 7 and it has been the most stable OS I have ever used, absolutely flawless. I've had the same install basically since 2009.

Last edited:
I too am in the most stable of the three OS.

I looked one time at a MacBook Pro to leave the PC world. I was then given 3400.00 reasons why I would not be migrating. I would of still had to run windows in a virtual platform to have access to programs that were windows only.

Yup, but an equivalent quality and power in a pc with the level of service and support would cost the same.

I don't quite understand what you mean. If you compared the specs of a high-end Apple PC to a comparable PC from say, Dell, the Apple is thousands more. Granted, there's no fancy store to go to and Apple's customer service is definitely superior; I wouldn't say someone like Dell was particularly bad and it certainly isn't bad enough to justify a 50%+ increase in price.

But you're comparing a boutique tech company with no rivals to a generic PC with literally thousands of competitors so it's not really a fair comparison anyway.

I love windows 7. It is by far the best OS I have ever used including any Mac OS I have used. Never one single issue even though I upgraded from Vista.

You cannot blame Microsoft for issues on older hardware or hardware not designed for 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, but an equivalent quality and power in a pc with the level of service and support would cost the same.

HP Envy: 1750.00
quad core 1.86ghz with Turbo boost to 3.2. 8 gig ram. Two 1TB HD. High end video card. HD screen. Blue tooth. Web came and sleek metal housing.

I was comparing apples to like apples of PC kind and still came out ahead.

I talked to their business department and even had some higher ups chime in, and they did not instill much confidence in their own products being capable of handling my needs. It was more of "buy the machine and you sort it out" mentality which is what I've been doing for years on a PC anyway.

One day, I may take a dip into Linux systems, but not any time in the near future.

You cannot blame Microsoft for issues on older hardware or hardware not designed for 7.

It ain't microsoft I blame but AMD for not continuing to support their hardware. The problem arose with Vista as soon as AMD stopped updating the drivers. I didn't find that out until after I upgraded to Win 7, hence the migration to linux where I know there won't be hardware issues.

I think Windows 7 is a fantastic operating system - I just think Linux does most things better.

I used wine to cover the Windows applications I needed -- but it got to be too much of a hassle to get a lot of games to work, so I just went back to Windows 7.

My favorite part about Linux was the same machine went from off to booted and usable in less than half the time it took Windows on the same machine -- but my Mac is even faster than that (usually up and running in less than 10 seconds -- or near instant if just coming back from sleep)

I like windows 7 too. I just didn't like it on my machine. That's why I kept the dual boot. It's a windows world and you have to use one way or another at some point. My desktop still has xp on it and that seems to be working well too. I have a vista that I'm not using and could put on the desktop but I'd rather have xp than vista. At some point, I'll have to update the "other" os on my desktop but not right now.

Back