Siren-like noise when slowing down.

WVFZ

Hey all, longtime reader, first time writer:
I had my trusty ol'2002 FZ1 garaged for roughly two months and although it started right up after a quick trickle-charge I got it going and it was riding awesome until about 10 min in when as I was slowing down in-gear I heard this loud, siren-like noise coming from below me which went away pretty quickly but came back a couple times. it is only when I'm gear and seems to be related to speed. I put it up on the center stand and revved it in first (seems only to happen in 1st or 2nd) and heard nothing so it seems like its only while on the ground. Anyone have any ideas?

If it is only on ground & under load, I would suspect something to do with the chain. Check the tension and give it a lube to see if it goes away. Also check the nut that holds the gear onto the drive shaft to see if it coming loose.

If it is only on ground & under load, I would suspect something to do with the chain. Check the tension and give it a lube to see if it goes away. Also check the nut that holds the gear onto the drive shaft to see if it coming loose.

I agree with Dicko... also check the alignment of the chain too. Had you done any work to the rear tire at all before it was parked or during that time?

Hey thanks for the advice guys, I hadn;t done any rear wheel work before garaging it but the bottom arm of the chain is pretty wiggly upon inspection and the top sits on the swingarm at rest, what is the tolerance for the chain on that bike (lost my manual). I definitely hope its the chain lol thats a much easier fix than some other things I was thinking and I love this bike!

Back