Slightly Broken FZ1 2005

Hi FZ! riders.
Andy from Australia.
I stopped at a stop sign and a female was looking the other way run into the back of my bike with her car.
Flipped the bike into the air and unfortunately, the FZ1 landed on my right boot.
Anyway, while the bones are recovering I looked at the price of new fairing and other parts.
I don't know how much they cost in America, but the fairing costs $1000AUS plus paint and the stickers cost $300AUS.
Conversion to US is $1350 for the plastic bit.
Does that seem a bit expensive?
I bought the bike new in 2005 and runs very well and don't want to dump it as it has only done 80.000km.
Hopefully her insurance may pay for things.
Regards
Andy Bray

I did a quick look here: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2005/fz1-fzs1t/cowling-1 and I see that the main fairing piece is $155, b ut you may need a number of the other pieces. The fairing they list is for the purplish blue color, and it appears that the decals are separate. When I dropped my Gen II, the fairing was more like $450 (8 years ago), but the entire assembly was included. The issue will be parts availability and shipping times, I think. If you have a blue one, you may be able to go with this, but if you need the silver, I'm not sure. The parts list shows the decals are separate, but I would call before ordering. My Gen II fairing parts came with the stickers, but not the tuning fork badges.

Prices do seem better, but it's a question of whether or not you can actually get your hands on the parts.

Thanks for your reply, Blue Flash.
Yes I have a blue one.
The prices, even after conversion are about 1/4 of the prices here.
Shipping will be fairly big.
I looked on the internet and it seems that partzilla seem to not be very reliable at sending the paid parts to Australia.
Seems like the person who hit my bike's insurance company will pay for the damage, when I am able to ride it to a Yamaha dealer. Hopefully, they will.
I will post the actual cost to fix, but it will probably be $2,000 Aus.
Regards,
Andy Bray

I've done some more looking, and I see the issue with international shipping. It can certainly be outrageous! Looking at the excite motorsports website in Penrith, it looks like the prices are about 2 or 3 times what I see here, without the currency conversion. However, that sounds like a lot less of a difference than the shipping and import charges. Since you can get the plastics already painted, that should not be an extra charge. https://www.excitemotorsports.com.au/ However, you may need to take a hard look at other websites or call to make sure you order the blue one... the parts diagram isn't very helpful in telling you which color is which fairing part number. Some of the other sites actually have an additional part number / name, one with "PB" in it, and the other with an S in the number... likely the difference between "purplish blue" and "silver"

On the decals, there is a small decal that goes for a few bucks, or a decal set that I think goes with the silver / skunk that is a lot more pricey. Doesn't the blue FZ1 have just the small decals? It's been several years since I had my blue one, but I thought it was just the small - and much cheaper - decals. Then again... if you get the fairing, does it come with the decals attached? May want to call. I don't know. It does look like the front tuning fork badge is extra.

Good luck, and I hope you heal quickly. Sorry to hear about the experience!

Thanks Blue
My rear plastic is a bit taped up after a female pushed my bike over in the garage, so I'm looking at sorting out the whole bike.
The rear plastic costs $350 on bikebandit, so it could be costly in Australia.
Don't know about the puplish blue, as around the world there was only blue or silver.
The FZ1 decal costs close to $300 here, if I can get them.
All I need to do is get the parts. I can sort a professional to cut decals.
I'll look at motorsports in Penrith. Funny thing in Australia is that it costs to get a flash blue muffler from Perth, 4,320km away as it does from 5km away. $10 standard.
Thanks again with your efforts.

Regards,
Andy Bray

You are quite welcome! Good luck on finding a good deal and hopefully getting it paid for!

By the way, I think the the blue on the 05 Fiz was officially called Yamaha Racing Purplish Blue... I loved my 05 Blue bike. Still miss it at times. Great bike!

Back