So I picked up a 06 FZ1.

Last Saturday I picked up a new left over 06 FZ1, I am undecided if I like it or not. Seemed pretty fast and comfortable enough. I don't know maybe its buyers remorse due to having 3 other motorcycles as well. Am I nuts or what?

if it's a brand new '06, there will be several things you want to do right off the bat.... IVAN's performance in NY make a FCE for the bike (Fuel Cut Eliminator) ... the 06's had notoriously horrible fueling from the factory which made jerky power delivery....

After that, to make the bike a bit more responsive and have power in the right RPM ranges a few mods can be done to help that out (AFTER proper break in) such as gutting the cats, getting a Power Commander (we can help you out with a bunch of different maps) tying/zipping/removing the secondary flies, and all sorts of other goodies.. some are free, some cost money for parts... but pretty much all of them, you can do yourself without much of a problem.

Put some more miles on... but I'm willing to bet that once you get used to the bike, at the very least you'll want a FCE and perhaps some different gearing.

So far I love the look, the first day I ripped off that truck of a mud flap it had on there and took all the passenger pegs and left brace off for a solo only bike. I have 3 other bikes for 2-up riding. I was told by the shop manager where I bought the bike the factory mapping is way off for epa standards and need a power commander to wake it up.

Each bike available has it's own character and the things they do best. The FZ1 is primarliy a sport bike with just enough cush that it wont kill you on longer rides. Your size and ability will define more about your like/dislike of the bike and as already said, a can/ PCIII and a good mapping will be a good idea if you want the most out of the bike. Expect to throw in another grand or better. One thing for sure, find a good serpentine road and you'll leave all your other bikes in the mirrors. As good s the FZ6 is, when it is rowing the shift lever, the FZ1 can power out without a down shift and get away quicker.

I hope my issues are just pre-mature and only due to owning it a week, didn't get me much saddle time. I have off Friday and it should be nice out to take out to the county roads after I scruff the tires a bit in town.

Back