Sourcing a "new" pillion seat

I'm about 98% sold on modifying a passenger seat for my Gen II to be a luggage rack. I recently picked up a Twisted Throttle DrySpec set of bags (28 & 38 liter) and they will sit on the passenger seat without modification, but I'd like to have something a little more secure, level, and "dedicated" for carrying luggage on longer trips.

To me, modifying the passenger seat to turn it into a luggage rack makes the most sense, since I don't take a pillion on tours. The advantage of keeping the luggage weight between the wheels is the most convincing argument. Being able to swap the modified seat for a "regular" pillion seat is a close second.

I've looked at BikeBandit and a couple of other OEM parts suppliers, and the price for the seat is anywhere from $85 to $110 for the seat. It seems silly to modify a brand new seat for my needs, but I haven't seen any used seats for sale. I suppose that is because those who put an aftermarket seat on the bike end up keeping the stock seat either as a backup or to put back on if/when they resell the bike.

Does anyone have any other ideas for minimizing the cost on another passenger seat? I'm going to strip it down to the pan and then drill holes in it, so condition is nearly unimportant.

Have you done a parts search through wreckers (can't remember what you guys call em) but the people that strip down wrecks. I'm looking for a few parts in Australia but not too many wrecks maybe?

Have you done a parts search through wreckers (can't remember what you guys call em) but the people that strip down wrecks. I'm looking for a few parts in Australia but not too many wrecks maybe?

Great idea. I can't believe I didn't even think of junk yards or salvage yards. I'll dig around today and see what I can find.

Yea, unfortunately rear seats rarely come up for sale as most of the time they are not replaced by aftermarket seats...

And the ones that do come up for sale are quickly snatched up for purposes such as yours.

I just saw this thread after posting a WTB thread in the classifieds. I am looking for passenger seat for the same reason but will not buy a new seat for that much.

Back