Spark plug change

Thanks guys. Heh Hellgate . . . whens your ECU coming back so we can have an update? I'm waiting w/baited breath to hear if its worth the $$$$!

One note... When you drop the radiator, take the lower bracket mount off OR take a tennis ball and cut a slot in it to put over that bracket. I've already heard of a few FZ1 owners who dropped the radiator and while working on the engine, ended up putting a hole in the radiator with that bracket. I remembered that but since I was changing the coolant at the same time, I just took the entire radiator off. The only bear about THAT is fishing out the fan wiring after unplugging them unless you want to unscrew the fans...

If you are removing the AIS, this is also a great time to install plates. This creates a lot of space in there. :D

Last tip? Be VERY careful tightening the plugs. Remember, you're working with aluminum and the threads will strip easily. They don't have to be "Hulk Hogan" tight!!! :tup:

Thanks guys. Heh Hellgate . . . whens your ECU coming back so we can have an update? I'm waiting w/baited breath to hear if its worth the $$$$!

Beats me, I wish I knew. I wanna try that thing too. I'll bug them again next week. I sounded like they were going to work on this week.

I was able to simply pull the radiator from it's mounts without disconnecting it from the hoses. After that, I was able to remove the coils and the plugs. I work in lot's of tight places like this for my job. It will be easier to remove the radiator and change the coolant while your doing it.

Since its been 'awhile' since I've done any 'wrenching' on a M/C, I'll titen the plugs using a torque wrench at whatever #'age Yamaha says! AIS plates: I'm gonna order some tomorrow, as I'm leaving the 28th on my trip....who's the quickest to get them from?

Hellgate: I'm not doing anything to my engine (PC III/etc) until you post the info from the reflash.

Since its been 'awhile' since I've done any 'wrenching' on a M/C, I'll titen the plugs using a torque wrench at whatever #'age Yamaha says! AIS plates: I'm gonna order some tomorrow, as I'm leaving the 28th on my trip....who's the quickest to get them from?

Either one of these look like a good deal and should get to you on time:

Yamaha FZ1 FZ 1000 EGR AIS Smog Block Off Plate Kit | eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c7586b60

Last tip? Be VERY careful tightening the plugs. Remember, you're working with aluminum and the threads will strip easily. They don't have to be "Hulk Hogan" tight!!! :tup:

LMAO Eric!! :D:

While i'm here, my owners manual says to change the plugs every 10,000kms (6250miles).
Do you guys wait that long or how often do you do them?
Sorry for any thread hijacking....

I have been slacking nike has 20662 and am tackiling the first plug change first plug I pulled is at .034 clearance slightly beat I would say

I have been slacking nike has 20662 and am tackiling the first plug change first plug I pulled is at .034 clearance slightly beat I would say

What are you putting back in? And, you have the AIS completely removed, right? Makes THIS job a lot easier!

I changed mine at 12k miles and out in Iridium plugs. So far they are great. I'm expecting to not change the Iridium plugs until another 24k miles are on the ODO.

Last edited:
putting the stock flavor back in.I blocked the AIS last year so thats long gone.I decided to pull the upper fairing ,i'm already done super easy with radiator loosened and the fairing out of the way.great time to clean all the hard to reach areas with it raining out allday.2 of the old plugs were at .035 and 2 were at .038 they were definetly beat

How big of a PIA is changing the plugs? Gonna do it this weekend before taking off on my 'big' ride (approx 4000 miles).

It's not bad if you're comfortable working on your bike. I can have my FZ torn apart in no time.

That said, if you're comfortable with it, drop the radiator and be patient. Patience is key.

And make sure you use the right plugs (stock, or go NGK!). The threads like Yami blocks, so no need for anti-seize even.

Back