Spark Plug gap

Tachypsychia

I picked up some spark plugs for the '01 fizz the other day, and since it's been raining (no garage) I haven't installed them yet. I had a how to bookmarked and just realized that the gap printed on them is .032in while everywhere you read, specs for the gap should be .028-.031. Wrong plugs? Or whatever?

28-32 should be fine. You would never feel any difference in performance. If they were in the 40+ range, than you would need to re-gap them down to the proper size. The larger the gap the harder the coil needs to work to jump the gap. Also the larger the gap the more HF (High Frequency) you have and HF is the static in your cell phone, radio, GPS, etc. and this can interfere with some on board computers.

But to answer you question 28-32 is totally acceptable.

Steve :rmwl:

You should gap them on on the low end of the specs (0.028" in this case). This way as they wear they'll stay within spec longer.

Autolites were 1.99 and NGK's were 9.99 a piece.. can't afford them atm =-(

With a good set of plugs you only need to check them about every 12,000 miles and then they'll probably be good to go. I'm not sure about $1.99 plugs. I spent $6.99 at Advance Auto for the stock NGk plugs. The old addage, you get what ou pay for applies to plugs as well.

Man! I finally found something thats cheaper here in NY/NJ. I pay $5.00 bucks a piece for my NGK plugs at CycleGear. I have gotten them as low as $4.25 each shipped on Ebay. You just have to look.

Back