Speedo/speed sensor help

Hi guys,

Picked up a 2002 FZ1 a few weeks ago that was in need of some tlc. Been going through the bike and actually have been commuting on it the past week, but I don't know how fast I am going.

The speedo will start to register as I increase my speed, but will hover around 20 mph and then bounce around a bit never going above about 40-45 mph. It never stays constant with a reading, but isn't jumping all over the place either. Just kind of lazily moving around inconsistently.

I have tried looking for the speed sensor wiring plug, but the bike appears to be missing it. From what I have read, it should be in the bottom right corner where the frame meets

3868fbf850701eb58e6d8c15ff94fbf9.jpg

I can't find where it attaches on the engine block and can't find any pictures online either. The tachometer and all other lights and fuel gauge work, but I am not sure where to look next to fix the speedo.

Thanks guys

I had to change mine the speed sensor is at bottom of engine in back just above swingarm if memorary serves me correct, pretty easy job just dirty if you have alot of chain lube gunk in there

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

The speed sensor is checked by the self-diagnosis system. If the computer detects a malfunction with the speed sensor, the tach will display 4,000 rpm once the ignition is on, regardless of whether the engine is running or not.self-diagnostic.png
Now, it is possible that it may fail in a way such that the computer has not detected the malfunction, or maybe the malfunction is intermittent.

When mine went it did not have the tach warning, started off as being intermittent then about a week later stopped working completely.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Back