Sport Tires

Take a look at the roads around me.... straight lines don't happen.

Boone NC - Google Maps

Man, I've been right by you twice before on my way from Charlotte to Gatlinsburg, TN to go to "Cooters Place" with my son for this Dukes of Hazzard thing they had there. We took 77 to 40 West through the mountains. It had to be the most beautiful scenery I had seen to date.

By the way, I think saw one road there that went straight for about 200yds or so!:yes:

Yeah, we are now a bonafied Uhaul Dealer at work for a month now so I'm all set for next year to trailer the bike down to NC. I just need to get my week written down early. Lets set it up.
You should shoot down to north ga, and ride Blood mountain hwy (hwy 129), hwy 180, and 60 South when you come down. It's not but a few hours or less from where it sounds like your headed. If you like the curves, then you'll love riding the North GA mountains. Just youtube "Blood Mountain Hwy" or HWY 129, or HWY 180. They all interconnect into what turns into one awesome loop.

You should shoot down to north ga, and ride Blood mountain hwy (hwy 129), hwy 180, and 60 South when you come down. It's not but a few hours or less from where it sounds like your headed. If you like the curves, then you'll love riding the North GA mountains. Just youtube \"Blood Mountain Hwy\" or HWY 129, or HWY 180. They all interconnect into what turns into one awesome loop.

Well, I can't very well go against the Doctor's orders now can I. I'll look into it, thanks Doc!

A quick question on tire longevity-if I went with a soft tire, say the BT-016's, how would they fare on gravel roads?
I live in the country, and Ive got 1.5 miles of gravel in either direction to hit pavement.

Are soft tires like this even an option?

Schrader

I Live up a gravel driveway.... get off of that, onto the "main road" and I have 1/2 a mile of pavement... then 1 mile of gravel..... the BT016's are doing well so far.... like any other tire, you have to pay a little more attention and check them more often when they get low on tread... easier to puncture on gravel when tread is low, but no more so than any other tires.

I did love that M3 but Im gonna have to go to a sport touring. I cant afford 2 or 3 rear tires a season. Between a Metzeler Z6 and a Battlax BT-021, but damn, the M3 was fun.

Bridgstone v mitchilin

Have run both of the above over the years and personally found that bridgstone's seem to like a coarse surface but the mitchilin's like a smoother bitumen or is it just tread pattern.has anyone come accross this as well or is it just me.

Have run both of the above over the years and personally found that bridgstone's seem to like a coarse surface but the mitchilin's like a smoother bitumen or is it just tread pattern.has anyone come accross this as well or is it just me.

I've only run the Bridgestones so I can't compare them to any other tire. I will say that the 016's I am running now will be my tire of choice for the next few sets. They are an awesome tire although they may not get the mileage of other brands.

compare

On my FZ 600 I most recently ran Bridgestone BT-45 V rated dual compound tires.

I have Michellin Pilot Roads(factory in Canada in 2008) For 2009 they went with Dunlops here.

Both The Bridgestones and Michellins are fairly sticky on the outer edges. I would have to say the Bridgestones have slightly better grip on hot dry roads as I have worn my front to the point of scalloping along the outer edge without ever a scary moment. I have however slid the Michellin (Rear) when healed over in a corner. I do believe it was the first time using that part of the rubber so more my fault than the tire I suspect.

Both tires inspire spirited riding and confidence, and yes I know I am not comparing apples to apples with these two tires as they are a class or two apart but that's my two cents worth.:spam1:

Last edited:
I did love that M3 but Im gonna have to go to a sport touring. I cant afford 2 or 3 rear tires a season. Between a Metzeler Z6 and a Battlax BT-021, but damn, the M3 was fun.

I have had several sets of Metzler Z6s and I loved them. I got great milage out of them and the were nice on the twisties. I am not as agressive as VArider on the street though. :unworthy:

Back