Spring / Fall gloves

Vagabond

I am looking at spending some very hard earned cash on a pair of Spring Fall gloves. I started my riding season in March this year and one morning it was 37f and my summer gloves with liners did not keep my hands warm at all.
I hope to be able to ride until the end of October so I am looking for good gloves. Can anyone give me a heads up on what you have and that work well in colder temps ? My head is spinning from looking at reviews on web sites.

I have been through several sets of winter riding gloves and understand your frustration. There will be no one brand or model that will doing the job perfectly for everyone.

You have to figure out some things to help you sort through the offerings available:

1) Budget
2) The types of 'cold' you will ride in. Do you consider 60F cold? Do you consider 35F cold? Etc. What about rain?
3) How much protection you want. Do you want leather, goat skin, textile? Do you want knuckle guards? Finger guards? Etc
4) How thick/bulky are you willing to go? Do you need a multi-layer winter glove that is waterproof and has a thick lining?

You need to figure out these factors and walk into stores and try gloves on.

I use Fieldsheer Polar gloves. They're no longer in production but they are by far the best winter gloves I have used. Goatskin outers, full plastic guards, full gauntlet. They're thermally lined with a waterproof membrane outer.

I ride year-round up here in Canada and require a waterproof glove that will be reasonable for something around 10F as that is as cold as it normally gets here. It also rains 80% of the time during winter so I require a good waterproofing. That said, they are not perfect. I am a wimp and my hands still get cold. If I go out for more than the typical 1 hour commute, my hands are frozen.

Good luck

Last edited:
I'm wondering the same thing. I've changed jobs this summer and instead of a 4 mile commute, it's now a 25 mile commute, with about 20 of that on the freeway. With temps in the low 40's in the mornings, my hands get pretty cold. I'm not looking for gloves that are good to 10 degrees! But down to freezing would be good.

Recommendations?

I prefer an insulated rain glove as they are more likely to have a draw string at the back. Useful for keeping that cold wind from finding its way up your jacket sleve.

Those look very nice! Kangaroo palm and good quality thermal and waterproof layers.

I'd like to know more about their performance, though. That review was not really a review at all but more like a sales pitch

How long have you had yours?

I finally bought a pair of alpinestars SP2 gloves when they were on sale and with a pair of silk liners I think they are going to be fine for my 30 mile commute to work in the fall with temps in the 35f to 40f range. I rode on the interstate last night and the outside temp was 50f. I didn't have liners and my hands were nice and warm.

Dustin,

I bought the gloves in Dayton a couple of years ago. I researched obsessively for a warm three-season waterproof glove. I would put their quality up against any manufacturer. I have had two pair of Held Steve gloves that didn't hold up nearly as well. They have very good feel. The trade-off is they are not toasty winter gloves. I live in North Florida so, even though it gets into the high teens sometimes, I don't have to ride in that kinda weather because I know those 40-50 degree winter days will be along on a fairly regular basis. They were warm at 50 and a bit chilly in the '40s. They are the best pair of gloves I have ever worn and I have been riding for neatly 60 years. Here is a WBW review of their more track-oriented gloves - the Racer High End. A good product.

Back