Sprocket bolts chewed up my swing arm

W0LFF

So im working on a new to me 05 FZ1 and look like somone forgot to add the rear spacer on the sprocket side of the wheel and now the bolts chewed into the swing arm. What do you guys think? Send it? or am I asking for trouble?

Attachments

• 20231205_122348.jpg
    20231205_122348.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 20231205_122355.jpg
    20231205_122355.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 20231205_122605.jpg
    20231205_122605.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
First off let me say you or the previous owner are not alone, as I've done it myself. Maybe luckily I omitted both spacers and did no damage before I realized I was piloting a barge. Here's an important tip for everyone working on Gen 1 rear wheels. If the axle goes on easily ...........you forgot the spacer(s).

That's some significant damage it must have been quite a rumble. I really can't imagine how violent that must have felt. Remarkable.

Myself I'd get a used replacement and I strongly recommend you do as well. . Used Ebay ones are rarely damaged in get offs. They use to be cheaper, but we can say that about everything now. Saw a silver one for about $60 after shipping, I prefer black probably closer to $100+. With slow movers on ebay like swingarms I look for ebay auctions with "Make an Offer".

My concern is the wear where the spacer sits. Will the wheel still be centered? Then there's the possibility of a total metal fatigue rip across the weld area.

Have you gotten the nuts off the sprocket carrier studs? Those might be bent as well. Post some pics if you get a chance.

Id be inspecting the bearings before reassembly. I had a hell of a time putting my rear wheel on 3 years ago, then i come on here and find a thread about loosening the caliper bolt for reassembly. DOH !

As requested some more pictures.

I honestly have not been able to feel any of this happening but after some further investigation looks like the coller around the wheel hub where the seal and spacer go has been eaten away as well. The sprocket bolts are not bent however just have left over aluminum stuck to them from the swaybar.
I only discoverd this because my bike felt wobbly at low speeds and I decided to investigate rear wheel alligment. Sure enought it was no alligned, go figure. I guess the coller of the wheel hub is enough to space the bolts from the swaybar but over time it ground down and probbaly slowly ate at the swaybar only reason I can figure it wasnt a violent discovery.

I put the bike together for now and have been able to locate a new(used) swaybar for $60 in black and a replacement wheel hub.

Attachments

• 20231208_162709.jpg
    20231208_162709.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 20231208_162714.jpg
    20231208_162714.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20231208_162726.jpg
    20231208_162726.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
As requested some more pictures.

I honestly have not been able to feel any of this happening but after some further investigation looks like the coller around the wheel hub where the seal and spacer go has been eaten away as well. The sprocket bolts are not bent however just have left over aluminum stuck to them from the swaybar.
I only discoverd this because my bike felt wobbly at low speeds and I decided to investigate rear wheel alligment. Sure enought it was no alligned, go figure. I guess the coller of the wheel hub is enough to space the bolts from the swaybar but over time it ground down and probbaly slowly ate at the swaybar only reason I can figure it wasnt a violent discovery.

I put the bike together for now and have been able to locate a new(used) swaybar for $60 in black and a replacement wheel hub.
I guess as the rear wheel shifted to the left it did so gradually enough for the studs/nuts to cut the swing arm like a cutting tool in a lathe.... as opposed several big whacks.

$60 for a black swing arm ain't bad, as Bunk said be sure to check all the bearings before final assy. Good opportunity to get them greased.

Back