Starting issue, help

reignman

No need to worry, it's isn't an issue with my fz1. My friend has an 01 gsxr 750 that won't start tho. We had just done some work to it (new rotors, integrated tail light, new mirrors) started it up and everything was fine. A week later and now it cranks over but won't start. we checked spark and thats good but the injectors aren't spraying. we can hear the fuel pump cycle and the fuel line definitely has pressure on it when disconnected. I soaked the injectors in injector cleaner over night and still nothing. i put a volt meter up to the injector wiring and it seems to to get voltage to it when the engine cranks. oh btw it does start when spraying starter fluid sprayed into the throttle bodies so im certain that its the injectors. and we put it in dealer mode and it isn't throwing any codes. any help is greatly appreciated. this is my main riding friend so it'll be a boring season if we can't get it going before the weather breaks lol. thanks

I remember quickly glancing at the fuse block but now I can't remember if there was a fuel fuse or not. I'll have to look better tomorrow when I go over. I guess the
simple things are always what gets over looked. Thanks I'll post back once I check the fuse block again

i double checked the fuel fuse and it is still good. the injectors seem like they are getting power. when i had the volt meter hooked up, voltage would spike to like 1.5-2 volts and then drop to almost zero. im assuming thats what it should be doing as the injectors are firing normally. ive read the injectors can be somewhat disassembled and cleaned? maybe that should be my next check. idk how they would all become gummed up within a week tho

Just for thought. I know at least two people with newer Gixxers that have had the same issue. Both wound up being Rectifiers. One of them had two go within two years.

really? i dealt with regulator/rectifier issues on my last bike and i thought that all it really controlled was charging. i guess maybe it isnt putting out enough juice during a start to power the injectors? most of the tests for the r/r require the bike to be running so how would i test to make sure it is infact the r/r before just having him buy one and swap it

Edit: nevermind i had to have the bike running to diagnose the r/r but now i remember the tests for r/r are just diode resistance for forward and reverse bias

Last edited:
Sure enough tested the rectifier last night and it seems like one whole side of it is dead. Still confused how that has any control over fuel injection but its worth a shot I guess since it tested bad

Sure enough tested the rectifier last night and it seems like one whole side of it is dead. Still confused how that has any control over fuel injection but its worth a shot I guess since it tested bad

Great news. Glad you found the issue. Not sure what the deal is with those rectifiers but I'm telling you it's a common issue with the Gixxers. It may be where it's mounted on the bike thats supseptable to overheating.

well unfortunately a new rectifier didnt fix the issue (although the old one did test bad so it wasn't a complete waste). back to square one. we've tested just about everything in that entire circuit i think. i don't know what else to suspect other than the ecu itself

we checked all the fuses and tested the relays too. seriously i hate all the electrical stuff. stupid computers. everything is so much easier with an old bike and carbs

Just a thought but if you did the wiring for the integrated taillight then did you do a good job with all the wiring, considering that's the only electrical change you and your friend made to the bike. Is it normal for the electrical to the fuel injector to turn on and off at the voltage you said? (may be a stupid question as I assume the electrical on and off is what tells the injector to spray and then not spray)

I just did my integrated taillight and took forever soldering wires together as well as placing them to make sure I wasn't loosing ground anywhere.

I notice even then that my taillight still surges with the bike's engine. I dunno how it is all the electrical ties together but I've noticed at least that connection.

ya i'm assuming voltage to the injector is what tells it to be on/off. i have no idea what kind of voltage i should be getting there though. that was me just taking readings with a voltmeter to see if anything "seemed" odd.

the integrated tail light was a pretty easy installation. just had to determine which lead was the running light and which was the brake. my friend managed to ground out a wire and blow the signal fuse before i had time to help him with the instal but the bike still started after that. not to mention the signal circuit has absolutely nothing to do with the starting of the bike or the FI that i'm aware of.

Back