Stator Removal

fz1uk

Hi, My stator ate itself by chewing the magnets around it and I'm trying to replace the flywheel surround and the stator - I can see shards of magnet poking out of the flywheel which is also firmly wedged on the stator. My real question is.. how on earth do I get the stator to come away from the casing cover.. I've taken out all the bolts I can see and it still won't come off? Is there a puller tool I need to purchase?
Cheers
Jon B

This is a known issue. There are several threads on this forum, the other FZ1 forum and also quite a few youtube videos that show how to replace the it.

You will need to also drop the sump and pull all the magnets out of there too, and replace your oil filter.

The replacement stators are built with a cup inside the rotor so the magnets can't come loose. But no recall was ever issued......

Yamaha does not respond, does not take responsibility. Faulty engine FZ1 / FZ8 / R1

This is a problem about defective parts of Yamaha. In Spain we are many affected by a defective rotor with loose magnets ... consult the facebook page of Yamaha Europe and you will see what I mean. We organize ourselves to ask for compensation.
Thank you

Yamaha does not respond, does not take responsibility. Faulty engine FZ1 / FZ8 / R1

This is a problem about defective parts of Yamaha. In Spain we are many affected by a defective rotor with loose magnets ... consult the facebook page of Yamaha Europe and you will see what I mean. We organize ourselves to ask for compensation.
Thank you
I also faced the exploding rotor during my holidays in Italy. Did you manage to get any compensation from Yamaha?

To answer your question. There is a video by Andymancam on YouTube, just Google it. In the video when he pulls the cover off the rotor stays in and the stator pulls out. When I did it a few days ago the rotor came out attached to the stator. The answer is the rotor is attached to the stator magnetically and you have to just pull it off . I got a rag ( since it’s oily ) and pulled it off . The one problem I have is now after buying a new gasket it’s leaking oil, like one drop per 24 hours. I’m wondering if there is some preparation to to putting on a new gasket. It tore just a little on the top getting the gasket out of the packaging, but no oil is leaking from that point. Any ideas?

Back