Steering lock not working

Hi all,

When I bought my FZ1 the owner said the steering lock cannot be lock. I was under the suspicious that it was due to the key as both of them are not original. Now I have someone cut a key for me, and the new key still doesn't work.

I talked to the dealer and they said it has to be the ignition switch and if I want to replace it is gonna be ~$100 part + labor. I am wondering if it's more trouble than it's worth. Also if it's something that can be done rather easily?

Thanks!

I have never pulled mine but my 04 is starting to get awefull sticky and acts up the key is one direction and not the other. I have pullesd the ignition lock of other bikes. I have either had to cut metal or mod a Torx socket by drilling a center hole in them. I never looked at my FZ's bolt up. The dealer price may not be outta line depending on the chore it is.

My steering lock works but I never use it because it will only deter the most casual theif. A cable lock is almost as easy and when put around a couple bikes, it's better than the steering lock. However, if you really want to use it or are afraid that the lock is going to stop working altogether, I'd pay the dealer.

For those folks with a sticky steering lock..grab a can of WD-40 and hose down the inside of the lock cylinder.... I have to do this about once every season... But then everything works all silky smooth... I have to do it on the seat lock and gas cap cylinder as well... Just part of regular maintenance..

For those folks with a sticky steering lock..grab a can of WD-40 and hose down the inside of the lock cylinder.... I have to do this about once every season... But then everything works all silky smooth... I have to do it on the seat lock and gas cap cylinder as well... Just part of regular maintenance..

I tried that already to no avail. It's like the key is hitting a wall of sort, it just won't turn. I looked underneath the switch to see what kind of bolt is holding it down. To my surprise there seems to be a Hex pattern there and there seems to be some tempering around the hole. I am wondering what does the factory security bolt looks like.

Back