Stiff choke lever?

I just bought an 01 fz1 with 40k on the clock and I was wondering what I can do to get the choke lever to move more smoothly. Its very stiff and I'm afraid I may break it one of these days. I noticed that there's like screws on the carbs that the choke bracket slides along. Should these be loosened a little. I believe IIRC there are a total of three screws that the bracket slides along (I dont know if I'm supposed to have a screw on the carb second from the left while sitting on the bike or not). If that isn't the answer, would lubing the cable do anything or would just replacement be the best method. Coming from a stage 3 Bandit 1200, I'm trying to figure this bike out because the Bandit was probably the simplest bike I've ever tooled on. Thanks for the help!

Should I get the line lube kit that has the attachment or try some wd-40 near the choke lever/clutch assembly. Also, should I have a screw on the number 2 carb for the choke slider bracket? Just curious.

Lubing will help in the short run. But with that many miles it's best to replace it. The corrosion has already started in the cable. Mine ended up snapping on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine snapped as well, the cable is horizontal which causes rust on the cable as it retains moisture in this configuration. Replace the cable before you break the handle bar switch.

Back