Stolen FZ1 found !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil_RC_1

So I peruse Craigslist for a few minutes almost every morning while drinking coffee and waking up. Yesterday, I see MY FZ1 that was stolen a year and a half ago (July 2013) on there for $1000 for-parts, no title, not running. The bike looks complete down to the cigarette lighter that I installed in the inner fairing. I immediately call the detective that worked my case and before the day was over the cops had the bike recovered. The guy selling it apparently had paperwork showing that he had legitimately bought it from an auction house, but we'll see! Auction paperwork can be forged, but there are also some shady auction houses out there too.

Since my insurance paid me, it is no longer my bike but I will eventually have the option to buy it back. It looks like the thieves only put about 1000-1500 miles on it so I just may try to buy it back if the price is right.

That is awesome and Yes, Buy it back. I am sure you can part it for a profit if not get her back up and running again for a bigger profit. Or just keep her as a second bike. This makes me happy. I can only hope now that the Police are able to track down the thieves and get them.

I hope you get hr back in good condition and get to ride her again. I also hope the thieves get the dose of Karma they deserve.

Good luck and keep us posted.

If I were in your situation, the cops over here, would not even lift a finger (especially for a bike)... they are too busy catching hard-core "criminals" that are speeding and parking on the wrong side of the street.

I hope you get your beloved FZ back and hopefully some justice delivered,too.:cool:

That's Unreal to see it advertised !! May be the guy did buy it in good faith ? Either that or he's stupid ..
Strange to see it still in one piece , I thought most stolen bikes were stripped ?

I had the same thing happen. I could not believe my eyes when she popped up on crags list. In my case the cops did not do a damn thing and is still not recovered. I so miss my FZ. :(

I had the same thing happen. I could not believe my eyes when she popped up on crags list. In my case the cops did not do a damn thing and is still not recovered. I so miss my FZ. :(

I remember reading your thread and thinking how messed up that scenario was. A shame your bike is still out there.

So my insurance agent informs me that I will have a chance to buy back the bike,,,,,, at auction! along with anyone else who happens to want to bid on it (LOL). I had kinda assumed I would get first crack at making an offer, but it will go to auction, when? who knows? He couldn't tell me so I'm keeping an eye on the auctions website. Oh, and I have to have a dealer license or get a broker to bid on my behalf (of coarse they'll get their commission too), so it may end up being cost prohibitive,, but then again, I may get it back for $1k or less, who knows! We'll see!

My agent told me that my bike would be auctioned locally at the Copart auction house. So I was watching and watching the CoPart web site waiting for it to come up. I had been watching for some time but I assumed the bike may have been held up in legal red tape or as evidence in the court system,,, or who knows what. So I finally called my agent and apparently they shipped it to California to be auctioned at a CoPart site out there!! why? who knows!,,, anyway, I missed out on buying it back but someone in Cali probably got a great deal. I imagine that a "theft recovery" that does not run, with 23k miles probably sold for pennies, even though it had thousands in aftermarket parts.

Last edited:
My agent told me that my bike would be auctioned locally at the Copart auction house. So I was watching and watching the CoPart web site waiting for it to come up. I had been watching for some time but I assumed the bike may have been held up in legal red tape or as evidence in the court system,,, or who knows what. So I finally called my agent and apparently they shipped it to California to be auctioned at a CoPart site out there!! why? who knows!,,, anyway, I missed out on buying it back but someone in Cali probably got a great deal. I imagine that a "theft recovery" that does not run, with 23k miles probably sold for pennies, even though it had thousands in aftermarket parts.

At least you can close the case and move on.

Back