Suspension service (rebuild fork / shock )

Any recommendations for suspension service? The 05 R6 I picked up.. I've no doubt that fork/shock have never been serviced. Stock springs are very close to what I need for my weight, so I just want to get fresh oil in the legs and service rear shock before next season.

Can anyone recommend a good place (ideally in NJ or near, so I wouldn't have to ship).

What tools would I need to do the fork myself? (I'm fairly handy and have done lots of suspension work on downhill mountain bikes.. none required special tools though)

Thanks!

I was happy with Ron's service at Washington Cycle Works at Rte 31 / 57. They are a small shop with just a few guys, and a dyno. :)

They upgraded my SV650 forks with emulators / springs / oil, and I twisted their arm to install a ZX10 shock in the back (knew it would fit from the svrider forums). They helped me with the sag and suspension settings. I was happy with the installation and how the bike performed afterwards. If I had to have one complaint, it was the price, as I've said in other threads, I am cheap. But I did get what I paid for and was happy with everything there.

You do seem like more the "do it yourself" type, Eric, just save the money and get the experience of getting it done! If you need a hand getting the bike suspended or something let me know, I would love to see a set of forks broken apart! --MW

I was happy with Ron's service at Washington Cycle Works at Rte 31 / 57. They are a small shop with just a few guys, and a dyno. :)

They upgraded my SV650 forks with emulators / springs / oil, and I twisted their arm to install a ZX10 shock in the back (knew it would fit from the svrider forums). They helped me with the sag and suspension settings. I was happy with the installation and how the bike performed afterwards. If I had to have one complaint, it was the price, as I've said in other threads, I am cheap. But I did get what I paid for and was happy with everything there.

You do seem like more the "do it yourself" type, Eric, just save the money and get the experience of getting it done! If you need a hand getting the bike suspended or something let me know, I would love to see a set of forks broken apart! --MW

Good to know, thanks! I'll be pulling fork legs and shock myself, but not sure if I want to invest into fork tools (and time).

Good to know, thanks! I'll be pulling fork legs and shock myself, but not sure if I want to invest into fork tools (and time).
For what you pay to get them done you will own the tools.i invested in the tools and have made use of them on other bikes I bought and sold

Ron has a great reputation. Highly recommended.

If you aren't replacing springs there really isn't any special tools necessary for forks. There should be a wrench in your tool kit to remove the caps and the bottom shcs is an 8 or 9mm.
Can't tell ya on the rear shock though.

Back