Suspension set-up OR, what the...

Well its day three on my new ride, it's a Honeymoon that I hope lasts indeffinatly. However I have one issue to try to get to the bottom of. I'm sure that the suspension is set for a much lighter guy, the previous owner was mabe 220, where I'm 265-70. What I am experiancing is upon deceleration, and what happens is this....... Your typical scenario here in North Carolina...... I'm approaching another small town and decelerating down to the typical 35 or sometines 25 mph speed limit from say 50 or so, well I let off the gas, In 6th or 5th, occasionally 4th, set up, arch my back a little, and continue decelerating with my hands off the bars for a distance. Now typically once I got down to say 25, I'd lean back and grab the bars again and proceed up to the stop sign and do all the usual, stop, and take off again. But heres the thing, as I said, without my hands on the bars, as I decelerate, I find the front wheel/forks begin a slight side to side, which increases and increases as the speed diminishes, to the point I feel its prudent to grab the bars again. It seems to increase and increase to the point where I believe it would have 4-5-6 inches of back and forth from the tire center point (the center point being, that that makes you ride perfectly straight forward) I'll add that there is no luggage and I set fairly forward in the STOCK seat as it inclines you to, also that its a Pilot ctII so far as tire heigth. So friends, any suggestions here as to what settings? I'm inclined to think its an adjustment with raising the tail end to start, again I mentioned the rider weight difference as you remenber. ........thanks Rich.......... ps I have no manual that came with the bike, I'm the third owner.

Last edited:
easier fix....don't let loose of bars....:poke: (and cheaper)

Just reading your post, makes me think there is something else going on besides a suspension adjustment.....but I have been wrong before....

check your bearings to make sure there is not any additional slop -- you can rock the bars back and forth to see if you feel anything....

Tires balances?
rim bent?
worn tires?
tire pressure?

if it is shock related...do you see any oil leaking from the seals anywhere?

If you do trace the problem to the shock, and it does need servicing....I, as well as many other Gen I owners, recommend giving Traxxion Dynamics a call -- Talk to Lee, shock guru and fellow FZ rider (Gen II I think these days)

at your weight, there's no adjusting the suspension for "proper" ... you can take the front preload all of the way up, the rear preload all of the way up, and still won't be able to get the static and rider sag correct.... at the very least, you need new springs... 1.15's in the front (possibly 1.10's) and at a 700lb spring on the rear.... from there, you can start making adjustments.

with headshake like you're describing, I'd look at the front wheel's balance, then rear alignment... assuming that all suspension components are at stock configuration and height... if the forks are lowered, and the rear is raised, this can sometimes create headshake.... also, try loosening up the pinch bolt on the front axle and rocking the bike back and forth a few times while holding the front brake.. to ensure that the forks are moving freely, and not binding...

Did you mean to say you are taking your hands off the bars? If so, I wouldnt, but as you decelerate, you are shifting the equal of half the motorcycles weight/load towards the front of the bike and as it shifts, the front end wll tend to dive a bit which changes the steering geometry a bit, which can make the front end just a bit twitchy. I'd try to stiffen up the springs in front, do whatever you can to add forces to combat the weight shift. I'm not sure how much you can change it on your bike but pre-load and damping are what needs to be increased. With the relatively steep angles of the forks on these bikes, weight shift can make a difference between steady bars and what you are experiencing.

Did you mean to say you are taking your hands off the bars? If so, I wouldnt, but as you decelerate, you are shifting the equal of half the motorcycles weight/load towards the front of the bike and as it shifts, the front end wll tend to dive a bit which changes the steering geometry a bit, which can make the front end just a bit twitchy. I'd try to stiffen up the springs in front, do whatever you can to add forces to combat the weight shift. I'm not sure how much you can change it on your bike but pre-load and damping are what needs to be increased. With the relatively steep angles of the forks on these bikes, weight shift can make a difference between steady bars and what you are experiencing.
You ARE CORRECT, I miss-stated that point, and just eddited it, I meant to say that I let go of the bars, lesurely decelerating down to about 25mph or so. The pic is humor

Well 'VA' I think your right, I'm due for another rear spring. I'll add that I think the forks/head and related componants are all up to snuff as far as wear goes, the bike JUST hit 7K yesterday, and the previous owner (a family guy) very seldom ever lofted or wheelied, you know, all those things that are objectionable from the bikes point of view. BroHay, I like the advise about the wheel weights as a possability, I hadn't come to that conclusion, or rather it hadn't dawned on me that as a possable area of concern. The tire is going on the second round, as the Pilot on the back is new with NO flatening what so ever. It's every likleyhood that that is the culprit, along with the weights having outlived their balance due to tire wear.ps, VA, do you have any notion of the cost of a heavier spring?, just ballpark, OEM mabe with a higher rating?

Last edited:
Ok, I'v got down to the source resulting in the strange behavior of the front end as I had explained in my observations.......duh....double duh.. its the frigin front tire... its time to replace it. It appeared to be a second run front, but still viable, but as I examined it closer and fortunatly it was setting so that the sunlight and shadows exposed a cupping from my vantage point.... well I got up went over and rubbed my hand up and down a section of the tire with a cupped palm and immediatly the feel of cupping was evident, and fairly well pronounced. I suppose I'd have discovered it in time, but the angle of the sun made it apparent instantly fortunatly. So...... certainly the cupping was making the balance long past usefull, and the cupping contribuiting to the oscilation back and forth.
OH....and thanks for the spring info..... next months lunch money will go to that....to be sure.

Last edited:
Back