Synthetic Oil Recommendations

I am debating on using synthetic oil or not, I typically ride somewhat on the fast side and change oil (and filter) often (1.5K miles), 20w50 in summer, 10w40 in winter. Is it worth while to pay the extra for a 10w50 synthetic and extend the change interval? And what brand is best?

I run, and have for as long as I can remember, a good synthetic oil. In my case I prefer Amsoil but if I'm on the road and can't get Amsoil I will buy Mobil 1. The most important thing is to change oil and filter at 4000 mile:deadhorse: intervals, just like the manual calls for. If you do that, your engine will outlast you and probably everything else you do to the bike. Changing your oil and filter more often than required (unless you live in an area that is particularly harsh) is just a waste of money and resources. I've been changing oil in cars for 50 years and in my bikes for 44 and I have had very good sucess going by the book...............Period!

I am debating on using synthetic oil or not, I typically ride somewhat on the fast side and change oil (and filter) often (1.5K miles), 20w50 in summer, 10w40 in winter. Is it worth while to pay the extra for a 10w50 synthetic and extend the change interval? And what brand is best?

If you change the oil that often then using a synthetic is probably not worth the extra money. However, you can switch to a synthetic and extend your oil change interval. Just remember to use a good quality synthetic media filter as well. For filters I would recommend the Mobil 1 or the slightly cheaper Purolator PureONE (part #PL14610 works on the FZ1). As for oil I wont even go there as everyone has a different opinion about which one they like and which one is "best". Just use a name brand in whatever grade you normally use.

I recommend Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. It's fully synthetic and made for 4-stroke motorcycle engines.
I change my oil (and girlfriends) between 3 and 4 thousand miles (when using this synthetic oil)

Last edited:
Maxima synthetic blend, or full synthetic. i will run Amsoil or repsol if i cant find it. i run the same oil in my dirtbike{4 stroke} and after almost 3 yrs,piston and jug looked almost new..cam was spotless.
change it often and it should not be a problem, every 2-2.5 k is what i stick to.

Why use an oil that is NOT reccomended for your engine?

Good question. However, Mobil 1 Synthetic meets or exceeds the manufactures requirements; AND I trust it.

My owners manual calls for Yamalube 4 10W-40 or 20W-40 depending on the season (OR Yamalube Performance Full-Syn 15W-50). However, it also stipulates I may use any motorcycle engine oil that meets: API SG type or higher, JASO standard MA (for motorcycles).

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is API SG, SH/CF and JASO standard MA.

Do I think Yamalube would be sufficient. Probably, but I don't believe it reduces engine wear or protects on cold starts as well as Mobil 1. :2cents:

Last edited:
I buy whatever is on sale a Cycle Gear, oil is, well...oil.

I could subscribe to this too, provided I changed frequently. With oil changes every 1,500 mi., the molecular stability and additive package would likely last- for any decent oil under typical use.
again :2cents:

I think that, unless you are doing track days every weekend, you are completely wasting your money and time doing what you are currently doing.

At the very most, I would just add a filter change to every specified oil change, instead of every other. I'm fairly certain 99% of us don't run our bikes hard enough to benefit from more frequent oil changes than is specified in the book. I can assure you, the engineering probably lends itself to 10,000 mile or so oil changes on these engines. The 4,000 mile interval is artificially lowered as a form of engineering margin.

OCD Upkeep

I think that, unless you are doing track days every weekend, you are completely wasting your money and time doing what you are currently doing. At the very most, I would just add a filter change to every specified oil change, instead of every other. I'm fairly certain 99% of us don't run our bikes hard enough to benefit from more frequent oil changes than is specified in the book. .

I change my oil (and filter) every 3k. I am only at 8,000 right now on my 2008, but I'm changing them, before a weekend trip in the Sierras. I rarely ever go above 5k on the tachometer and the oil in the glass Level window looks like new, but at age 59, this "1st bike" may be the "only" motorcycle I ever own, so I do everything I can for correct maintenance (after 25 years, I finally got a garage door and opener, but I STILL put the disc lock and bike cover on the FZ1). : owned:

I change about every 4K and don't use synthetic. Sometimes change sooner depending on how oil looks and what/where I've been........

Did/do the same with all the bikes

Using a K&N filter right now........

Yamalube vs ?????

Why use an oil that is NOT reccomended for your engine?

Can someone explain synthetic over what Yamaha puts on all their bike for all these decades? Maybe a link to some actual tests and industry studies?

The dealer mechanics that teach at the local JC just said, "use recommended oils for your brand bike, change oil and filters every 3k and your bikes will last 100,000 plus."

Mobil 1 is a great oil for bikes, a bit more expensive than other synthetics, but cheaper than bike specific oils. Mobil 1 makes decision making easy.

I use Silkolene Super 4 10w-40 Semi-Synthetic or PRO 4 10W-40 Fully-Synthetic for longer intervals. Plus K&N filter with the nut on the end for easy removal-install.

Using Amsoil 10-40 and will run it double the factory recommended mileage interval. (or once a year if I don't rack up big mileage during our 4 month riding season!)

I change about every 4K and don't use synthetic. Sometimes change sooner depending on how oil looks and what/where I've been........

Did/do the same with all the bikes

Using a K&N filter right now........

Same here.

I just don't see the need to fork over the extra money for synthetic.

The K&N oil filter is great. Filters well, I suppose, and is easy to get on and off, most importantly.

Really the most important thing in keeping the oil clean is the air filter not the oil and oil filter.

I think it's funny that people state they use a K&N air filter to "save money", but change their oil every 1,500 miles... I've not figured that one out yet...

Last edited:
Back