Synthetic Oil Shelf Life?

So, as the title asks, whats everyone's opinion on a synthetic oil's shelf life? (How long can you store it in the garage, does it go off?)
Mobil 1,
Motul,
Royal Purple,
Shell,
etc...

I happen to use Mobil 1 racing 4T just because Triumph actually recommends it. I would guess that any modern engine oil, whether synthetic or not would have a shelf life beyond anything we'd be likely to test. I wouldn't even put that in the consideration equation.

Oil, like most anything else, has a shelf life, but it's pretty long. Best to store it in original unopened containers. I would say anywhere from 3-5 years is acceptable. I saw your other post somewhere about Mobil 1 so are you planning on buying it in bulk?

Thanks Don and Tony.
Yeah Tony I'm thinking of buying a 5 gal drum (20Lt here)... Thats what I have the Motul in (I bought the 20Lt drum of mobil gear oil from a mobil distributor for my last project car years ago)
I'll just store the Motul till I need it, maybe for another bike... so I can use the Mobil 1 in the FZ1...

Last edited:
Thanks Don and Tony.
Yeah Tony I'm thinking of buying a 5 gal drum (20Lt here)... Thats what I have the Motul in (I bought the 20Lt drum of mobil gear oil from a mobil distributor for my last project car years ago)
I'll just store the Motul till I need it, maybe for another bike... so I can use the Mobil 1 in the FZ1...

Scotty personally I would just use up the Motul and then buy the Mobil 1. I am sure the FZ1 will run fine w/ either oil. Sometimes people get too caught up in what brand of oil to use. For general street riding as long as you don't let the oil go too long between changes any modern oil (of the appropriate grade of course) will do...:2cents:

Another thing to remember is to use a quality filter. No point in using Mobil 1 w/ a junk filter that will not remove enough of the dirt particles out of the oil.

Back