Tail Bag Setup (Gen II)

azoutside

I've gleaned some good tips and advice during my time lurking here, thought I'd give back for once as a newbie. I'm sure I'm not the only one who commutes often with the FZ1 and would love a place to put a laptop bag, store a helmet, maybe have room for an overnighter on the road, etc. I looked at a bunch of different rack and luggage setups and didn't quite find one that fit for me so I came up with something of my own that checks the boxes for me...
The rack is the "sport rack" that replaces the passenger seat. It wasn't big enough to fit the bag I wanted to run so I bought a piece of carbon plate on amazon and cut/sanded it to shape, then bolted it to the rack. The bag is from Saddlemen and is large enough to fit everything I need (including a helmet with the expando-zipper). It's long/skinny shape keeps it tucked in nicely. It didn't come with a carry handle (duh?) so I bought a billet aluminum piece from a boating hardware store and mounted it up. It's even powder coated to match... gotta be stylish lol. The whole package came together nicely but I'm still trying to decide if I like it or not, looks very bulky but I'm not sure that can be avoided and still have the capacity I wanted. At least it comes off easily, either by popping off the whole enchilada and replacing with the seat, or by unclipping the bag and leaving the rack. Here are a few pics. Love it or hate it! :)

20230715_172140.jpg

20230715_172150.jpg
20230802_204009.jpg
20230802_204022.jpg
20230715_162017.jpg

Hi Doc , Old Deek here , looks as though it does what you want . Doesn’t matter about looks , as long as it gets you boxers and vests to you digs dry . What’s the aerodynamics like at TOURING speed chief , if it doesn’t weave about I might bolt on “her indoors “ vanity case .

Aerodynamics are good, with my big rear end in front of it I doubt it sees any wind at all. It's super stable, doesn't move around at all. Seat started out as a Corbin but got some extra foam added to make it a little taller in the front. It's ok, not great but not bad either. I'm still looking for another alternative for an aftermarket raised seat that's a little more firm and flat so it doesn't push you into the tank as much.

Cheers for that , you sound about the same size as me , when I get my bike next week , it has a Givi top box so am planning a similar kind of thing to go on the top box rack fittings to accommodate a small tail pack , which will come off easily . I’ll keep you posted .

Back