Temperature dependant vibrations.

Earlier this year I was trying to get my my '13 to vibrate less by doing a throttle body sync & torquing the engine mounts. I think there was a slight difference with the TB sync, but no difference with the engine bolts. Now with the weather being cooler in the mornings (low 40s) my engine temp has been in the 160-170 range and the vibration is almost gone. However, later in the afternoon with the air and cooler temp up (185-195) the vibration comes back.

I think I kept my coolent temp at 170 while doing the sync, would letting the temp rise into the 190s when doing the TB sync reduce the vibrations on the hotter days?

Other ideas?

I can't imagine that TB synch would change, or benefit from a different coolant temp during adjustment.
I've had the same experience with my '10 FZ1 with 10,000+ miles. Bike has a reflashed ECM, K&N air filter, deleted EXUP, blocked exhaust air gulp, and a slip-on muffler. These mods improved driveability and decreased vibration noticeably. Money well spent.
But 5,500~6,500 rpm vibration is still there. This engine has no counterbalancer, but is well balanced above 7,500 rpm so that's the compromise.
Although I have no indications that the TB is out of synch, there is noticeably less vibration in cool ambient air temperatures.
My theory is that it has something to do with the increased air-density at lower air temperature, which technically increases cylinder compression a little, and also leans out the air-fuel mixture. The engine is just "happier" in cooler air and coolant temperatures.
I'd be interested to know what the experienced tuners have to say on this subject...

Back