The FZ 0.5

oldjeep

My 2003 FZ1 was sold a couple weeks ago so that the next person could enjoy it. But I still have 1/2 of an FZ1 to follow my big bike around. Finally got around to finishing the wiring last weekend and took it for a spin yesterday. Pulls nice and aside from needing to come up with a rest for the centerstand so it doesn't bang on the shock linkage, I'd say it is a success.

Started off with a $100 engineless FZ1 that had been run into something solid. Forks, handlebars and front wheel bent, frame seemed OK. Plastic was junk and had been rattle canned at some point. Tank had more dents than I could believe. So basically a partial parts bike, with all the parts that nobody wants ;)
IMG_20220602_182107_HDR.jpg
Stripped down to bare
IMG_20220602_193319_HDR.jpg
STarted chopping and drawing
IMG_20220606_173325_HDR.jpg
Modified some Givi racks - can't recall what they were originally for
IMG_20220707_164801_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Next a mockup with the luggage from my FZ1
IMG_20220707_164853_HDR.jpg
Ultimately decided to just remove the bobbins and latches to solid mount some Tusk boxes. Also added a mount for a cooler that we had laying around
IMG_20230219_101422_HDR.jpg
Added the lights, wiring, paint
IMG_20230530_141029_HDR.jpg
And took it for a spin yesterday. Works well
IMG_20230530_164103_HDR.jpg

Honestly, I built it because I was bored ;) I'm sure that I will drag it along on the next trip just to see how it all works out - but it was really more just to do it.

I've been seeing concept drawings of the PASQ adventure trailer for a couple years and I though it would be pretty cheap and easy to just use a bike as a basis rather than starting from scratch.

what did you mean about the center stand hitting the linkage? did the geometry change a ton by removing the weight of the rest of the bike?

The stock centerstand has a bumper that holds the centerstand away from the linkage. The bumper rests on a little angle bracket that is on the exhaust pipe. Without the pipe there the centerstand can fold up about an inch further and in that position it hits the pivot on the shock as the suspension cycles. I just need to do something to keep the stand in the "stock" position

Works very well on twisty roads, funny thing is that it transitions side to side faster. I thing that is an effect of the trailer tire rolling over faster than the car tire that is on the bike.

Back