The problem with motor mount bolts

Acording to 'Pats place" upon dissasembly of the motor-mount bolts in an effort to quell vibrations and routine meintenance he discovered that the bolts were becoming raveged by electrolisis. He described the enherrant corrosion of two dis-similar metals and how the block was the sacrifice, AND how all this occured in such a short time span from new. Well it occured to me that if you were to remove the bolts, you could do a couple things to alleviate the block corrosion, and that might be to either have the stock bolts 'jet-hot' coated, like the allumanizing so popular on exhaust systems or you could replace the steel stockers with Stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts. Now the stock bolts should be replaced with new ones before they were jet coated of course, 'why use old ones' ! or instead using the SS bolt,washers and nuts. Well in a sence the coated ones, unless you'v got a friend who could do them for a song..... then it would be sort of redundant considering the cost of bolts, shipping and coating, compared to just going after some proper sized grade 8 SS bolts and such. This will be one of my first procedures performed, .....that is, to see what I'm facing in reguards to corrosion there. If I see the said corrosion, I will go ahead and replace the bolts and such with Stainless. I figure it'll be about less than $20. A worth-while fix. Not to mention the viblation quelling factor involved and original reason to even have looked as Pat did.

post up if you are successful or not on the SS route....I'll be pulling mine off to mount frame sliders and paint the engine mount -- but truly do not recall if I had anything wrong...

Back