The US Desmo Boys and Girls

Well many of you may not quite be aware of how many twistie back-roads we have here in the Peidmont 'Sand Hill' area of North and South Carolina from south of Wadesbourough to SC.'s Chesterfield and the surrounding area. But it hasn't escaped the Ducati Boys. On the weekend, usually a couple'a 2or3 come down and typically meet at the Melton Brothers Market at Deep Creek and Hwy 742. I happened to run into these boys on the road while scouting out windy roads, and one particular that I nearly got lost on when I very first moved here and knew very little about the roads and where I was. Since, I have been scouting everything to the west of me and intend to go into the area east, north/east of here along the west side of the PeeDee river, up into the Uwharrie region. Well as I was saying..... I tagged up with the President of 'Ducati Owners Club Of The United States', his name Jim Calandro. Jim seemed to be a sweetheart of a fellow, quite knowledgable of alot more than Ducati, and a true 'people person' friendly to non-Ducaristis. Well after a fiew minuates of introductions and visiting, he offered to tag me up with a couple area Ducati Riders for weekend rides and such, as well as an offer to attend any rides the club was planning, with bike brand unimportant. Well you got'a know that if their riding down from the Gastonia NC. area, some 60-70 miles away, to get here, there must be something to my claim of exceptional roads. One thing either good or bad here is the lack of law enforcement on these roads, and the likelyhood that I'v met one of the officers and cooked for them at their anual BBQ's, so that might be worth a 'slap on the hand' kind'a thing. But mostly it's about the roads. I believe I'm going to map a curcuit of road with the best sport-bike qualities and mark it with a (colored dot) code for speed, sand, left, right, and cautions, an easily read florecent green and orange four dot system. ie. fast, slow, sand and debree in turn, etc. So once I'm able to plan outings with Jim, and I have locations, it would be really great to tag up with some of our guys too, (FZ1's) for the ride. Mabe 5,6,7 guys would be a neat little group-ride. These guys tend to lean towards a more mellow-fast riding speed, easily good for all but the newest novice. Jim's to the left.

Last edited:
Thanks will do...........................................man this better weather is nice.Actually, I'd like to tag up with you in Boone one of these not too distant days, see your riding grounds. March is just a couple days away, and with it, some better and better riding days and evenings.

Last edited:
BBBWWWWAAHAHAHHAHA.... That's funny... March... better weather.... whew... you got me good on that one...

Try sometime around May... we're getting snow all this week, starting tomorrow, and then next week, we're supposed to have a "Big One" ... Supposed to be the biggest of the season.....

I know that I've made statements about wanting to have snow an all....but guess it is time to reflect and be thankful for the dry weather here in NM.....at least when it comes to riding.....

I'd be interested to see your writeup because Washington, Oregon, and California have some of the best roads in the country. I've been on many of the jewels and I'm talking hundreds of miles of insane twisties. We'll see what NC/SC has to offer compared to the West Coast...enquiring minds want to know.

DF, You may have the roads you suggest, and I believe you. Here it's just a matter of driving about a quarter mile and then hit the twisties, the difference being the lack of trafic and the composition of the asphault here. The backroads here are all basically in forrested areas, as thats what the east is about, at least from the coast in to about 5-600 miles, from Florida to Maine. The people are Friendly as well, and in a different mode. Everything happens 'by and by' here, no rush, no stress. If your a stress & population junkie, this is not the place for you, and you will find alot of people simmilar to Samuel Clemens, ie Mark Twain. Serriously wise but comic personalities. No doubt the North West is abundantly full of twiste beautiful places, and of course every state except mabe Kansas has their own little Quiet, little known 'play place'. But North and South Carolina's topography consists of an increadable amount of sweeping, twisting high-speed roads, clean enough and gription friendly to make a week of just exploring, without the considerable rain of other locale's.One's not better than another, just different, but the main thing is the roads, and here their like spider webs.....spiders on drugs.....lol...

Back