This thing is saving my knees everyday. Should've done this years ago.

I'd been looking at the Harbor Freight lift table. Seems legit for home/hobby use. Capable of lifting my FZ and the dirt bike easy. Runs around $400. Cheaper if you can find it on sale. Not a bad option. But with a big project coming up, I'd rather spend the money on the bike, and working on the ground like a peasant is definitely not an option. I built myself a work bench. For about $100 in materials and a day to slap it together this thing is working out pretty good. I think every biker should have one. I probably over built it a little. Us FZ1 guys could get away with making it a little lighter, but I wouldn't be scared to roll a Harley up on this thing. It's 20" tall. About right for my hight. I can easily get to the top of the bike (lift the fuel tank off), and the bottom. sit on a stool, or take a knee to get the oil drain. way better than laying on the ground. My ramp is short, 6' cut to fit in the bed of my ford ranger. I was worried about clearing the crest on the exhaust, but it rolled right on...With help from my roommate. It was a little steep, I couldn't have done it myself. A longer ramp would be easier, or a running bike you could slip the clutch and walk along.

Some things I would change:

The cross piece for the tie downs is to wide and also to narrow. I made it 4' thinking wider is more stable, I can always trim it down latter. And after bashing my shins several times on the first day, I'm gonna trim it. But already the straps don't clear the fairing. I don't want to make that worse. I think I will trim it to 30" same as the handlebars, and use Canyon Dancer bar harness to tie it down.

I would make the whole thing a little bit wider. I made it skinny to try and save floor space in my little garage. It's a two car garage, but two deep and one wide, long and narrow. But I should have made the bench wide enough to get it on the side stand while I struggle with tie downs and canyon dancers. And a wider base couldn't hurt. It doesn't seem top heavy with the bike on it. Nice and stable. But you never know what kind of drunk idiots come wobbling through the garage..... It's just me, Im the idiot.

I know I didn't invent any thing here. I just like how this project turned out and thought I should share it. Has anyone else done something like this? what are the pros and cons of your bench build. I still kind of want the Harbor Freight Lift, But this is a cheaper solution that I think will work for a long time.

Attachments

• workbench1.jpeg
    workbench1.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 27
  • workbench2.jpeg
    workbench2.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 29
  • workbench3.jpeg
    workbench3.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 27
  • workbench4.jpeg
    workbench4.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 31
  • workbench5.jpeg
    workbench5.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 31
Very nice! I am still in my 40's and just work on the bike via the center stand, but I certainly see the advantage to something like this. How would you work on the front tire/wheel or shocks with a setup like this? I normally put a jack under the headers and lift the front end up teetering on the center stand when I need to get my front wheel off.

Also cool MG!

I usually do the same when it's on the ground. I've got a stable little scissor/screw jack that i put under the headers. I haven't got it on the center stand on the bench yet. I'm thinking stand on a stool and have a spotter on the other side of the bike. I dunno. This is another reason I wish I built the bench a little wider. The front wheel chock will come off easy, just a few screws. That'll give a little more clearance once (if I can) it's on the center stand. I'll probably find a metal piece for the chock, and use bolts all the way through. After this chock comes off and on a few times the screws will likely strip out the wood. For now it's solid, and I'm just doing engine work. I'll let you know how it turns out when I try to get the wheels off.

And yes, thank you for noticing. The MG is very cool. I don't know where you are, or how international this forum is. But the right hand drive little British car is a lot of fun, quite unique out here in Utah. Sometimes, when I get really excited, I try to shift really fast and accidentally roll down the window.

Nice! I thought about putting mine on wheels. But I Didn't want to make another trip to the helpful hardware place. Also worried about it moving around when I start wrenching on it. if all the wheels lock I'm sure it would be fine. I don't want it much higher though so I'd have to chop the legs. Maybe I'll try it out when I'm done with this project.

Back