Three Stikes - Fz1 is Out

So I'm very frustrated and at my wits end. I'm having three issues with my 2006 Fz1, and I'm not sure if they're related or isolated and just happened to occur close together.

1st) About a month ago I noticed my digital gauge display had developed at "dead spot" where it would not display numbers. Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1GFM4XVrS0

2nd) A week ago, a hug rain storm hit here in Florida and poured down on the bike for a constant 10hours. Two days later, the bike ran very rough. Surging at idle, not power on acceleration, and just not power really when riding but would sometimes "catch" and regain normal power for a few seconds only to back off again.

- I believed water might have got into the gas, so I drained the tank and put some HEET in with fresh gas (no change)
- Then I believed the air filter might have somehow got soaked and pulled/washed it (no change)
- Went ahead an changed the oil and filter too while I was doing the air filter (no change)

3rd) At this point the third problem started, and I'm not sure if it's related to the other two or not. I went to start the bike and it wouldn't fire up, so I checked the voltage on the battery and it was only 11.5V. Bought a new battery since this one was over two years old, and believed that would cure that issue. Put the new battery in, fired up good but running super rough still with no power. Drove the bike down the road about a mile and the headlights and gauges went out, then bike died. Push the bike bad home and the NEW battery was only at 11.3V so I put her on a charger over night.

- I went ahead an cleaned all the connectors under the tank, and pretty much all over the bike
- Cleaned the battery connectors and followed the wires to make sure nothing was exposed/disconnected
- Check the fuses and all were still good

I don't think the missing parts of the display have anything to do with how the bike is running. I would disconnect the plug from the display unit and clean the contacts and maybe use some dielectric grease and plug it back in. If that doesn't fix the display I'd say you'd need a new unit or maybe a good used unit. As for the rough running, I'd check plugs and plug wires before anything else. Also, I'd check the kill switch on the handlebar. You might want to open that up and spray it down with some WD-40 to displace some of the moisture that builds up in there after heavy rains. Let us know what you find out. Hope you get it solved quickly. I know firsthand how annoying these mysterious gremlins can be.

I don't think the missing parts of the display have anything to do with how the bike is running. I would disconnect the plug from the display unit and clean the contacts and maybe use some dielectric grease and plug it back in. If that doesn't fix the display I'd say you'd need a new unit or maybe a good used unit. As for the rough running, I'd check plugs and plug wires before anything else. Also, I'd check the kill switch on the handlebar. You might want to open that up and spray it down with some WD-40 to displace some of the moisture that builds up in there after heavy rains. Let us know what you find out. Hope you get it solved quickly. I know firsthand how annoying these mysterious gremlins can be.

Good suggestions! Hopefully it's just bad connections with the display - those units are EXPENSIVE!

As for the plugs - I've tried dropping the radiator down but can't seem to get it off the "hook" on the right side, so I've been neglecting changing them for months now. Any suggestions?

Also, If you don't have a covered spot or a garage to park her in, get a cover to protect her from the water.

What kind of gas are you running in her? I have noticed issues with both my bikes when I run cheaper gasoline in them. I have found the Chevron has the best additives in their gas here in California and I have no issues with it.

Also make sure the plugs are not fouled.

Also, If you don't have a covered spot or a garage to park her in, get a cover to protect her from the water.

What kind of gas are you running in her? I have noticed issues with both my bikes when I run cheaper gasoline in them. I have found the Chevron has the best additives in their gas here in California and I have no issues with it.

Also make sure the plugs are not fouled.

She's covered while at home, but I happened to take her to work that day. I just use Regular 87 from the local gas stations.

I'll get back with an update on the plugs if I manage to get to them, the radiators already won twice - maybe third times the charm.

She's covered while at home, but I happened to take her to work that day. I just use Regular 87 from the local gas stations.

I'll get back with an update on the plugs if I manage to get to them, the radiators already won twice - maybe third times the charm.

Bummer,
I ride to work everyday myself, but I have a parking garage i can put mine in at one client, and if it is raining I tend to bring my car. SoCal Freeways get messy in the rain.

I feel obliged to say that bikes are designed to handle rain & moisture and will not typically have any issues sitting outside in the rain or being ridden in it. My bikes often sit outside in heavy rain for 8 hours or more and are subjected to the worst the wet coast has to offer. I do take the time to disassemble and clean the switches & plugs then reassemble with dielectric grease so they continue working smoothly and properly.

That said, they are not designed to be hit with high pressure sprays and things like spark plug wells, coils and bearings are susceptible to water seepage and long term damage.

Last edited:
Check out the coils while you're doing the plugs. Quite a few FZ1 owners have had coil issues. Any moisture around the coils from that rain would aggravate a coil issue. Many of the failed coils are from bad insulators allowing spark leak. Just be aware many coils test within spec on a meter but are truly bad.

I also agree that checking the kill switch contacts is a good idea.

If I were to guess, I'd look at the stator. Could be the seal at the stator cover went bad and allowed moisture into that area and it is hindering the bike's ability to generate electrical power which would explain the battery not charging, especially a new battery. Here's the items on PartShark. 2006 Yamaha FZ-1 (FZS10V) Generator | Part Shark Related to this is the rectifier. Do you have the service manual? The testing of these two is on page 8-150 with the acceptable specs.

Last edited:
Check out the coils while you're doing the plugs. Quite a few FZ1 owners have had coil issues. Any moisture around the coils from that rain would aggravate a coil issue. Many of the failed coils are from bad insulators allowing spark leak. Just be aware many coils test within spec on a meter but are truly bad.

I also agree that checking the kill switch contacts is a good idea.

Pulled the error codes from the dash got 30 and 46.

Check continuity from the stator prongs and got buzz with all three at ground. Likewise, I check AC voltage from all three prongs an got no volts when bike idling or at 5000rpms.
I also pulled the rectifier and check that - seemed good from the test I saw on you tube. So I believe you might be right, seal failed and let perhaps let water into the stator which caused the bike to run super rough only pulling power from the 2 year old battery. I ordered an aftermarket stator off ebay to replace the defective one, but I'm now thinking I should also get a new cover Oring.

This is all excellent advice. The gauges have nothing to do with how it is running. As NY said, I also think you just have a water got in the wrong spot problem. If the problem persists, I would just continue to look under covers on the bike for electrical wires that have moisture. Where ever there are electrical panels, you can open them up and let them dry out for a few days, blow some dry air in there and that may fix your problem. Back about 10 years ago, I had a small XR50 for my son that was in a shed and flood waters got it. I drained everything out and still had come moisture under the stator cover for a few days. I just kept it open and sprayed wire dryer from the auto store on it and never had a problem with it.

All is not lost.

I had a similar problem last year. It was the generator that had given up. The magnets had come off and caused me lots of problems. At first I thought the regulator had given up until I tested it. I now have the new type generator with the magnets enclosed with a shield so the don't break up and end up in the sump.
Hope you sort out your problem fella, good luck.

Delta.

Washed my FZ1 [ not with high pressure gun only hose] then a friend turned up instead of taking it for a quick spin after a wash I was running out of time so just started it up and rode it into my garage, the next morning when I started it was running very rough. I end up straying the plugs leads etc with WD40 the best I could as you know hard to get at them. Anyway decided to take it for a longer run to try & dry it out, it took nearly 15 klms until it came good. I know you are having trouble riding it without it stopping so I would change the plugs & give any electrical parts you can get at a good spray of WD40 or with some thing similar, good luck.

Seems to be a common problem, running rough after a good soaking.

Mine runs rough (feels like it's running on 3 cylinders) for a while after a wash.

I fixed it with waterless wash, no dramas since.

Back