Throttle Lag

Skydancer

Just got an FX1 a couple of days ago, took it out for a 6 hour ride to day. The one fault and there is only one I can find it the throttle lag, it’s very jerky from on power to off power. Is there any solution to this, or just have to live with it?

Haha, I just asked in your other thread if you are suffering from this.
Plenty of reading on the subject in here-

The easiest fix is to feflash your ECU.
With that you have the most recommended yet expensive option of Ivans FZ-1 flash at the tune of $350 ish
The Bauce racing and Vcyclenut options at $250 ish each. (I used a $20 off coupon I found in youtube for Vcyclenut so that dropped it some more).

For the time being if you don't want to go that route just yet-
When I did the airbox mod (Look up Ivans newest airbox mod, I did the LARS mod but will be switching to Ivans soon) and AIS block off (plug tube coming from AIS where it goes into airbox) I could have sworn most of my low speed herky jerky went away.

Haha, I just asked in your other thread if you are suffering from this.
Plenty of reading on the subject in here-

[/URL]

The easiest fix is to feflash your ECU.
With that you have the most recommended yet expensive option of Ivans FZ-1 flash at the tune of $350 ish
The Bauce racing and Vcyclenut options at $250 ish each. (I used a $20 off coupon I found in youtube for Vcyclenut so that dropped it some more).

For the time being if you don't want to go that route just yet-
When I did the airbox mod (Look up Ivans newest airbox mod, I did the LARS mod but will be switching to Ivans soon) and AIS block off (plug tube coming from AIS where it goes into airbox) I could have sworn most of my low speed herky jerky went away.

Oh man thanks! I’ll study up on all that. I’m definitely gonna do something cause it’s really annoying.
Took my wife out for dinner on the FZ1 and she complained about the jerky stuff and said I didn’t know how to drive my new bike, I kept saying it’s not me it’s the bike!!! She didn’t believe me. Lol!

I just recently got a flash from Vcyclenut. I did Ivan's new airbox mod, and wow! The throttle response below 4k and throttle smoothness is night and day difference. I would highly recommend it!

I just recently got a flash from Vcyclenut. I did Ivan's new airbox mod, and wow! The throttle response below 4k and throttle smoothness is night and day difference. I would highly recommend it!
Are you running the stock 17 tooth sprocket or a 16?
The real question is does your bike power wheelie in first if it has the stock 17 tooth front sprocket- mine does not.

I've got an Ivan modded airbox lower portion in the garage I need to swap out with the LARS I have installed.
The LARS will be up for shipping only afterwards if anyone is interested.

Are you running the stock 17 tooth sprocket or a 16?
The real question is does your bike power wheelie in first if it has the stock 17 tooth front sprocket- mine does not.

I've got an Ivan modded airbox lower portion in the garage I need to swap out with the LARS I have installed.
The LARS will be up for shipping only afterwards if anyone is interested.

I got down to the ECU, dang it needs a new air filter. Are there any videos that guide you through removing the ECU? I can’t find any.

I believe the top 2 videos will get you there.
Ivan may have a top tier product, but he ain't the only gig in town.

Here is another option-

I used the code- motosouth - for an extra $20 off which helped cover shipping.

Ivans may be the best, but the Vcyclenuts offering is still a great improvement over stock.
You have to give him all the details of your bike before he flashes the ECU, so it isn't just a straight one size fits all flash.

I'd love to ride equally modded yet Ivans ECU vs another side by side to "feel" the difference.

Without a dydno it seems it would be subjective to a seat of the pants opinion.

Last edited:

Thanks, I’m gonna do the same, I’ll send in my ECU tomorrow.

I’ve heard the air box mod. Some say it damages the engine?

[/URL]

I believe the top 2 videos will get you there.
Ivan may have a top tier product, but he ain't the only gig in town.

Here is another option-
[/URL]

I used the code- motosouth - for an extra $20 off which helped cover shipping.

Ivans may be the best, but the Vcyclenuts offering is still a great improvement over stock.
You have to give him all the details of your bike before he flashes the ECU, so it isn't just a straight one size fits all flash.

I'd love to ride equally modded yet Ivans ECU vs another side by side to "feel" the difference.

Without a dydno it seems it would be subjective to a seat of the pants opinion.

I’ve, spent maybe 10 to 12 hours on it since I bought it last week, don’t know how much I’ll be able to tell, hoping a lot! Started out just to fix the throttle lag, and now it opens up a whole new universe!

I got the ECU out just fine, thanks for the links, there were some screws hiding here and there, but other than that it was very straight forward, for someone like me who is not mechanically inclined. I’m gonna order the whatever it’s called, the gen 2 flywheel, ( got the part # from a YT video). the magnetic ticking time bomb, it too looks like an easy job. I put together my CNC machine, I can follow instructions OK! lol. Thanks for your help Dave.

I know the feeling.
I started with - I just want to ride a liter bike again- to a wrench turner.
Nothing "needed" to be done, but I've done plenty. It's a new toy and I'm still enjoying tweaking on it.
Next week is take some slack out of throttle cable and swapping the lower airbox section , which will be the 4rth time I've had the front cowlings and tank off since buying it this spring-lol.

I'm not sure how the airbox mod could hurt the engine, the air is still filtered before entering the sealed airbox section where the throttle bodies are.
Maybe riding in a deluge would allow water to saturate the filter- but I don't plan on doing that anytime soon.

I found the LARS airbox mod to be way louder than I thought it would be. It's more of a growling noise (reminds me somewhat of a 4 stroke thumper dirtbike exhaust) that raised the noise generated in the "cockpit" area substantially.
Some like it that way, me not so much so I'm switching to the Ivans airbox modded piece to hopefully return more towards the factory intake sound. Somewhere between factory and LARS will be fine with me.

Spend some time clicking around on the VCyclenut website, he has distinct details on how he wants it shipped and such.
He called me after receiving my ECU to verify what mods I had. Luckily I answered the number I didn't recognize or it could have cost me a day or so more to get the ECU back.
I should have paid extra for quicker shipping getting it to him, USPS took their time getting it to him.

I know the feeling.
Nothing "needed" to be done, but I've done plenty. It's a new toy and I'm still enjoying tweaking on it.
Next week is take some slack out of throttle cable and swapping the lower airbox section , which will be the 4rth time I've had the front cowlings and tank off since buying it this spring-lol.

I'm not sure how the airbox mod could hurt the engine, the air is still filtered before entering the sealed airbox section where the throttle bodies are.
Maybe riding in a deluge would allow water to saturate the filter- but I don't plan on doing that anytime soon.

I found the LARS airbox mod to be way louder than I thought it would be. It's more of a growling noise (reminds me somewhat of a 4 stroke thumper dirtbike exhaust) that raised the noise generated in the "cockpit" area substantially.
Some like it that way, me not so much so I'm switching to the Ivans airbox modded piece to hopefully return more towards the factory intake sound. Somewhere between factory and LARS will be fine with me.

Spend some time clicking around on the VCyclenut website, he has distinct details on how he wants it shipped and such.
He called me after receiving my ECU to verify what mods I had. Luckily I answered the number I didn't recognize or it could have cost me a day or so more to get the ECU back.
I should have paid extra for quicker shipping getting it to him, USPS took their time getting it to him.

I’m gonna gave fun with this bike! I never touched my Heritage other than putting on some COBRA neighbor hater slip ons on. I never polish it up up or anything.

The FZ1 I’ve polished it and worked on it, more in One day than a year with the Harley. It’s my man cave bike.

I know the feeling.

Jeeezus! I had no idea the FZ1 was so fast, it beat 3 Busas and kills the Honda CBR 1000RR! Insane!

Back