Throttle Position Sensor (Sticking) Error 16

Drock

Hey guys,
Just bought my first FZ1. A beautiful 2006 with only 2600 miles. Have ridden her 600 miles in the past week and a half and just the other day went to crank her up and couldn't. Finally got it running but was sputtering really bad even seemed like all cylinders weren't hitting. This morning she cranked up with no issues except a check engine light. The error is #16 which is the Throttle Position Sensor (stuck) . Is this mechanical or can electronics have play in this issue? The bike has the Power Commander III , Ivan's FCE and a K&N airlfilter. Is it something simple as run some cleaner through it? or something more serious?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Derek

Hey guys,
Just bought my first FZ1. A beautiful 2006 with only 2600 miles. Have ridden her 600 miles in the past week and a half and just the other day went to crank her up and couldn't. Finally got it running but was sputtering really bad even seemed like all cylinders weren't hitting. This morning she cranked up with no issues except a check engine light. The error is #16 which is the Throttle Position Sensor (stuck) . Is this mechanical or can electronics have play in this issue? The bike has the Power Commander III , Ivan's FCE and a K&N airlfilter. Is it something simple as run some cleaner through it? or something more serious?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Derek

Derek, the TPS is an electro-mechanical device. To get to it you're going to have to remove the gas tank and airbox. You can certainly try spraying some electrical contact cleaner on it, but I'm not sure how much it will help since as far as I know it's pretty much sealed. Your only option might be to replace it since it seems like it's an intermittent problem.

Back