Timing chain noise.

Lupin

I think my chain is starting to get noisy. When you shut the engine down you can hear a rattle. From time to time I hear it when riding.

Anyone else have a similar noise?

[video=youtube;TsBr_TMxRd4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsBr_TMxRd4[/video]

I think the FZ1 has a noisy/'tappey' engine to begin with but I know that sometimes cam chain tensioners can fail on these bikes. I believe someone on the forum recently replaced theirs.

For what it's worth, the noise in the video doesn't sound too unusual to me. I had a failed CCT on my VFR and you REALLY know when the cam chain is loose.

As Dustin says it dosnt sound that unusual , the drive train is generally noisey but you know your bike so know if it sounds different ! I find my chain will rattle on start up for a few seconds when hot sometimes

That "clunk" sound when shutting down the engine is very common in almost all motorcycle engines, and it comes from the starter, not from the timing chain. A typical bike starter uses a freewheel mechanism instead of Bendix drive used in car engine starters. Now, when the engine is shut down, after stopping it will kick slightly backwards, which causes the starter freewheel to engage just like when starting, and the starter motor will spin a bit backwards which makes that "clunk" also appearing in that video.

Last edited:
Sounds all good to me. I always seem to hear new noises and make myself paranoid but after talking with a few fellow motorcycle owners with alot more experience than me they all say that motorcycle engines are loud , clunking and like to rattle and that put me at ease. As long as its got oil and water and its running good then dont worry too much bout it

Back